How do you know if you 8 yr old son is gay?

Just recently my son started saying things like I like boys and I want boys to like me.I also hear him say I like sarah and Erica.But when he says things like I like boys he says it is cause he thinks they are faster and and cuter.They also all play sports and he just started playing.I will love him no matter what but it seems to frustrate him cause he said he wants a girlfriend and family.I am just so confused on what to do.Could he be confused or what? Before any one says anything I just want what is best for him.

mommy2118

Asked by mommy2118 at 8:38 PM on May. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Leave him alone. Don't try to persuade him either way... He's too young to know what he's interested in, and you shouldn't be questioning him, or leading him in any direction. When he's a teenager, he'll figure it out. Just support him. :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 8:40 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Yeah, play it cool.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I would never I just want him to understand what it means when he gets older.For now he just enjoys playing soccer.I just am lost with everything and he is so upset about it cause he said his mind is telling him to like the boys but he likes the girls
    mommy2118

Comment by mommy2118 (original poster) at 8:44 PM on May. 17, 2011

• is he around a lot of women? or maybe female relatives who have "boyfriends"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:46 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Sounds like he's just identifying with his gender. You are reading to far into this. Don't make an issue out of this, because he'll feel like somethings wrong. You can't tell if your child is going to be gay.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't want my kid to be confused and I would do what you would for any other thing and help him figure out what he likes most about each one to help him make a decision for he feels is best for him. At the end of the the day he can know he shares common interests with one more than the other and still be interested and get along with both.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 8:48 PM on May. 17, 2011

• from what you said it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.....it sounds like he's talking about liking boys in a 'normal' way, not a sexual way. sometimes kids have ways of phrasing things that sound odd to us adults, but to them it makes more sense because they are young and innocent lol. my son calls his guy friends his 'boyfriends' and his girl friends his 'girlfriends'. i told him it doesn't sound right and he gave me a lecture about how they are boys and they are his friends and that's why they're his boyfriends. o well....he'll get it one day. it's not anything to worry about imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:51 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Don't react at all..he's 8.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:53 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I just want him to be the best no matter what.He also said about having sex with them and I did not know if It is to early to have the talk or not.
    mommy2118

Comment by mommy2118 (original poster) at 8:54 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't react at all.
    mommy2118