What happens when having to appeal for excessive abscences?

My five year old daughter is in Kindergarten and just brought home a note today saying she has excessive abscences and I need to appeal for school year credit or she may not be "promoted" to the first grade. I went ahead and wrote out my appeal letter that she will be bringing with her to school tomorrow, and from there I'm told to wait to get a phone call from the assit. principal to have a conference to discuss all this. I'm just curious about the whole ordeal of what happens, what is actually looked at or accepted so that she may continue on to first grade. One sidenote: we live in Texas, and Kindergarten is not mandatory. She did not have to attend school until age 6/First grade but I wanted to enroll her so she would be ready. She has bad allergy attacks though all the time, most of them with a fever, and school policy demands she stays home and be fever free for 24 hours before she can come back, so this is how how she racked up all her abscneces. I had a conference with her teacher last month and she said despite the abscences, my daughter is doing well and she thinks she will be ready for first grade. I don't have a doctor's note for all this or her absences. Its something she has had since she was two years old and was always just given nasal sprays for, but this summer she will finally be old enough to undergo real treatment. I have written all this in the letter, I am just hoping this will be enough to let her go on to first grade. Anyone have any insight or expierence with this?

Kattxbrat

Asked by Kattxbrat at 9:13 PM on May. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you could have the dr. write a note explaining her ailment and how it causes her to have fevers, etc. that will strengthen your case. basically you just need to get proof to back up your letter. i'm sure it will be fine. they just have to do it automatically once a child has x amount of absences.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Here if your child goes past their alloted amount of absences the parent MUST go to court (doctor's note or not) and the court costs are $250.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Call your doctor and get a letter from him explaining that she has severe allergies and how she will soon have a more effective treatment. It's the same here in Connecticut - kindergarten is not mandatory (at least that was the law last time I checked) but the school will still have a major conference if there is excessive absences and will often call CPS. Though I've never heard of a child in elementary school being stripped of their credit because of missing school - I've only heard those problems in high school, I skipped what was equivalent to about half the school year in 8th grade, they didn't call CPS or have a conference...they were just going to keep me back. My brother had to appeal for his credit his senior year of high school because of missing school.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 10:50 PM on May. 17, 2011