Do you worry about your DH/SO?

DH just called and said he's going to be at his store alone until midnight or later building tables.

He's already had one break-in in the 4 months he's been open (even though his store and our house are supposed to be on the low-crime part of town).

I told him I was worried about him and he thinks I'm overreacting. I probably am, but I always worry about stuff like that.

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 9:15 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• Not really. I mean, I do know that something could happen to him. And whenever the phone rings, I do look at the caller ID and hope it's not an unfamiliar number. But I don't really worry. I know that he is fully capable of taking care of himself, that he is very safe and cautious, and always does everything he can to make sure nothing bad happens. That's all he can do.

Plus, I have a friend who is seriously overdramatic and turns everything into a gigantic thing, and watching her has made me calm down a lot, because I don't want to look like her. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• All the time! DH is a Security Guard at night at the Greyhound Station and it's a HORRIBLE part of town...and a couple of months ago 2 security guards were killed execution style not far from there...I have a panic attack everytime he's even a few minutes late coming home in the mornings
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Its ok to b concerned, but worrying isnt going to do any good. My SO worked at a prison as a guard when I met him. He would come home every day and tell me storys about how he had pissed off an inmate or 2, and how they threatened him, and I alwys worried that he wouldnt come home one day, or would get beat up... but he never did. so I worried for nothing.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 9:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Nope, my husband has a concealed carry license and carries a 380 pistol
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My dh is a cop, I never worried too much. I just can't live with that you know?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I worry sometimes . . . he has a job that can be dangerous . . . . I know he is always surrounded by a group of his peers, though.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I do worry - some times more than others (my dh is in the military). But I have to trust in God, common sense, and training to keep him safe.

I try to look at it like this - for one thing, no matter how safe you are, there is always the possibility that something could happen (you could be sitting in your house, watching tv and a plane could crash into it, for all you know...). So, while yes, I do worry (and I understand you worrying now with him working late and alone), on the other hand, I try to keep in mind that if I spend all my energy worrying about what might happen, then, when it doesn't happen (as most of the time, it doesn't), that's a lot of wasted energy and unnecessary stress. Why borrow trouble? Especially when doing so can mean that by anticipating the bad, you don't really enjoy the good...

Hope this makes sense :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:30 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Oh, something that might help - I know you're worried that he's working late, and I can understand that, but while you're waiting, to help pass the time and ease your worries some, you could use this as an opportunity to surprise him :-)

After the kids are in bed, grab a shower, light some candles, etc. Then, when he comes home, he's going to be tired, so give him a back massage. Even if you don't have sex (or he's so tired he falls asleep during the back massage), it would be nice and romantic and he would probably appreciate it (and could carry over to another day ;-) ) and it would give you something to think about while you wait instead of thinking about everything bad that could happen :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No, my husband is a black belt and has his conceal carry license and carries a handgun knows how to protect himself.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:10 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I understand why ur worried i would worry too. But worrying doesnt do much good!
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 1:23 AM on May. 18, 2011