Do you live in a right to work state?

A new report from South Carolina Republican Sen. Jim DeMint’s office shows that right-to-work states, or states which prohibit forced unionization and dues payments, are economically outperforming states without the worker protection.

According to DeMint’s study, right-to-work states enjoy more new residents, more new businesses, more new jobs, and faster income growth.

The study shows that more Americans are moving to right-to-work states, causing states that force unionization to lose seats in Congress.

From 2000-2010, forced-union states lost 9 seats while right-to-work states gained 9. The increase in population and new businesses (right-to-work states had 46 percent more private business growth) has also resulted in a greater increase in employment and income in right-to-work states.

“From 1993-2009, private sector employment increased 37.9% in RTW [right-to-work] states (15.8 million jobs) compared to 19.6% (14.5 million jobs) in forced-unionism states,” the report reads. “Individual income in RTW states is growing at a faster rate than forced-unionism states. From 1993-2010 real per capita personal income grew 39.5% in RTW states compared to 35.7% in forced-unionism states.”

Twenty-two states currently have right-to-work protections: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming.

Reacting to the National Labor Relations Board’s decision to block Boeing from opening a plant in South Carolina because of its right-to-work status, Sen. DeMint has introduced legislation, with Republican Sens. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, to provide right-to-work states protection from such outside intervention.

Currently, 11 percent of Americans are unionized.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/05/16/right-to-work-states-economically-better-off-study/#ixzz1Mf8w1rxK

http://demint.senate.gov/public/?a=Files.Serve&File_id=88760fc5-0ac6-4e6c-91b5-6ba8b17fd06e

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:19 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• no, i live in md.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• no,I don't but my state is doing quite well ...unemployment a lot lower than the states he mentioned. Less than 7%.in minnesota
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:36 PM on May. 17, 2011

• We thought KY was, but I guess it's not :(
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:39 PM on May. 17, 2011

• http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt-clocks/state-of-minnesota-debt-clock.html

Take a gander at this minnegerp.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 9:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• http://www.minnpost.com/bradallen/2011/03/17/26700/minnesota_unemployment_rate_unchanged_at_67_percent

MN is slowly improving. We are doing a hell of a lot better than many other states. We have companies such as 3M (their headquarters here) and the Pillsbury and General Foods corporations....I'm not worried.
    Your cute litte moving number chart is sure impressive Carpy. But I don't see why you posted it?
    And we were discussing that DeMint guy's feelings about Unions. I know you don't approve of Unions but some of us do.
    Smile!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:14 PM on May. 17, 2011

• http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/02/demint-gays-unmarried-pregnant-women-teachers_n_748131.html

Here is a reminder of Jim DeMint's philosophy ...and his prejudice. And this is why I strongly dislike him. So I don't want to read any more of hs garbage,ok?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:17 PM on May. 17, 2011

• 3M (their headquarters here)

Would you tell me what the 3 m's stand for?
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 10:18 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Your cute litte moving number chart is sure impressive Carpy. But I don't see why you posted it?

How are those shoes looking today?
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 10:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Here is a reminder of Jim DeMint's philosophy ...and his prejudice. And this is why I strongly dislike him. So I don't want to read any more of hs garbage,ok?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice

WTF were you forced??????
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 10:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I'm in North Dakota. Our numbers are low because of oil, it's got nothing to do with being a right to work state and everything to do with the Bakken Basin.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 10:40 PM on May. 17, 2011