Did your child do something developmentally/physically unexpected for that specific age?

for example... rolling over at a few days old or sitting up at a month, stuff like that.

my middle daughter smiled at the sound of my voice the first night she was born. i have a picture of it because i got her to do it 3 or 4 times that night, it's truly from ear to ear and everything. most people say that's impossible, newborn infants don't smile responsively, yadda yadda. well, i know what happened, i was there. it was about 8 hours after her birth, the morphine from my c-section had worn off and i wasn't loopy anymore, it was around midnight and she was awake, i had her in my arms, and was just whispering to her. i said her name and she grinned! then i got her to do it again and again. it was truly incredible.

she was also born 3 weeks late, and to this day is extremely attached to me but is also the smiley-est 2 year old i've ever seen.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:41 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 5 y/o was talking clear complete sentences at 18m. My 27m/o can climb the jungle gym at the park better than most 4 y/o. That is about it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:43 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My 22 month old can count to 10 already and also sings the ABC's. Shocked the heck out of me!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:43 PM on May. 17, 2011

• my oldest could roll both ways very early. the pediatrician said that it was impossible and then he almost rolled off the exam table! he was flabbergasted lol. and he was born at 36 weeks....he was supposed to be 'behind' a little bit. o well....drs. don't know everything lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:44 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My daughter knew her numbers and all of her shapes at 2... then taught herself to read in preschool. She has a photographic memory so all the words that were labelled around the classroom she committed to memory... everytime I would read a book to her, she memorized those words and would recognize them in print other places. She is now 9.5 in 3rd grade... reading on a almost 5th grade level. It is worth saying though, that she is autistic and abnormal intelligence is one of the common factors with autistics....
    daisypetals2000

Answer by daisypetals2000 at 10:25 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Ds was lifting himself up with his feet during tummy time at 13 days. He skipped crawling and went straight to walking at 9mo. He didn't say a word except "dada" until 17mo, when he started using clear words in proper sequencing, counted to 5, speaking better than my 5 & 4 yr old nieces. By 18mo Dr appt, Dr and several nurses were surprised at not only the words he was saying, but the fact that he was trying to say them at all!

On his 2nd bday, he recited colors, shapes, sizes (sm, m, l) and can play match with 28 different pairs of cards, he can differentiate horses from zebra, cows from buffalo, lions from tigers from other large cats, spiders from beetles, dogs from coyotes from wolves, etc. He, too, has a photographic memory.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:00 PM on May. 17, 2011

• DD is 13 months and is exceptional at pretend play. She has little tea parties with her dollies and speaks in her own language. She speaks with inflection, phrases and complete sentenced. She will even "yell" at her toys if they don't cooperate... All in jiibberish. We got her one of those "cozy coupe" cars and when she gets out of it she pauses, turns around, and shuts the door. It's so cute.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:11 AM on May. 18, 2011