Why do girls want to give their moms a hard time?

My DD is 5 1/2 and she is already giving me attitude and when I am around and other people are around she acts different. When she is with my parents she is an angel but if I am there too then she is disrespectful to me and I am not sure how to deal with it. Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• dicipline lol. i am a pretty strict mom, but my (almost 6) yo doesn't act up too much. i don't tolerate disrespect or attitude. first time it's 5 min. time out, and then if he's still acting up he goes up to his room to lay down and he can come back down when he remembers his manners. works very well (even for my nephew who is 8 1/2). gl....just be strict and consistant.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:50 PM on May. 17, 2011

• It's really not just girls. I think the problem is that a lot of people are just not ready to realize that their children do grow up. Children will learn attitude from TV, other children and even yes, their own parents. They go through various stages in their lives, both testing you and testing the waters, so to speak. It's how they learn. The best thing you can do is to just try to steer them into the right behavior without really labeling them as bad, having an attitude, etc. Let them grow, let them learn, but always be there to kind of guide them. You can set limits and boundaries according to the rules that you have set in your own home. For instance, if you don't want them saying a certain word, yet they hear it from their friends, rest assured, they will try to use it around your home at some point. Just remind them of YOUR rules and be consistent. Good luck to you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:53 PM on May. 17, 2011

• my oldest is 4 1/2 and sounds just like that. especially around my parents, and she's been that way as long as i can remember. she seems to know that my parents will let her get away with murder so she can act however she wants around them and they will undermine me if i try to correct her behavior. i know this is unhealthy but every time i've tried bringing it up to my parents they tell me "i'm mean" "too firm" or "stern". no.. i just don't want to raise unruly kids. but anyway, she's always been really active/hyper and it seems to go up about 12 notches when unfamiliar people come over, like my friends she doesn't see often. she really is a good girl for me but she just doesn't like to show it to my parents.. lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:53 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i think you need to have a talk to your child and teacher that is not the way to be. There are different ways to discipline your child. The best for me was time outs. I had to, because I was scared mine would not listen and run out on a road or hurt herself with anything. And keep on top of it. Don't let it slip back into her being your boss. And hug her when she is doing good. Do not let your parents be her parent. I know sometimes I have to step back and let me children raise their children. Take care Carol Jean
    CarolJean65

Answer by CarolJean65 at 9:54 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have a ten year old girl, I ask myself everyday. Lol
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 9:57 PM on May. 17, 2011

• girls r born w/ a indpendent mind and her instinct is to be a independent as possible,especially from u-choose ur battles,if she dosen't want to wear what you want let her choose,if she wants to wear her hair different,let her.give her as much freedom as possible for her age and tht will make her see u respect her and in turn she will be more respectful of u
    k-dusty

Answer by k-dusty at 10:01 PM on May. 17, 2011