How do I convince my DH to quit trying to raise his sisters.

My MIL and Step-FIL have three daughters who are all teenagers and were all born when my DH was a tween/teen and their father was long distance trucker so his mom relied on him to help with the girls while his step-dad was away. He is always trying to tell his parents how to raise the girls and gets upset when they get privileges that he didn't. How do I get him to quit giving his mother unwanted advice?

amandajoy21

Asked by amandajoy21 at 10:13 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• His mom "relied on him to help" you said. Its kind of hard to ask for help, get it and then tell the person you are done with them.
    Anonymous

• I don't think he'd accept it coming from you, in his head this is the role he grew up with and continues this role because he believes it's his place and I honestly believe the only one who can make him stop would be his mother and step-father.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 10:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• By help I mean like fixing bottles, changing diapers, and light childcare so she could do housework or getting shopping done. She still was the primary decision maker and disciplinarian. Nothing outside of what any parent might ask an older sibling to do around the house. Now he feels that he has the right to decide when they date, who they date, and dating rules or what after school activities they are allowed and how it isn't fair that he wasn't allowed to.
    amandajoy21

Comment by amandajoy21 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Wow thats tough. I agree that I dont think he would listen to you. If his parents are asking him when they should date or what they should do after school but she(ur MIL) really doesnt want his advice she shouldnt tell him what his sisters r doing..or ask him his opinions..
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 12:29 AM on May. 18, 2011

• That's the thing he hasn't lived at home for 8 years and she never asked/asks his opinion on parenting decisions he just feels like she isn't doing it right and he wants to tell her how to raise her children. I want this to stop while our DS is still little so my MIL doesn't feel like she can question our parenting decisions once our DS gets older.
    amandajoy21

Comment by amandajoy21 (original poster) at 6:29 AM on May. 18, 2011