Weaning

My son is fifteen months and we have gotten down to him only breastfeeding at naptime and bedtime. If I try to get him to sleep without nursing, he cries and cries. I've heard a lot of people say their child self weaned at about seventeen months. Should I let him self wean, or should I try to wean him myself? No bashing please, ladies. Play nice. I am thankful to all kind advice. :)

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 10:27 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can or you can just feed him less at nap time jive him some thing else to drink before he lies down and tell him no thats it you had your drink no more you have to take a nap now you can have more when you get up.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 1:59 AM on May. 18, 2011

• IMO, I will let my kid nurse until they quit on their own after age 2. I will intervene after age 4 only.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:41 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Thats your call ... Ive always viewed it as its only good for the kid as long as its good for momma... I nursed my daughter for 19 months but that was my limit... Are you weaning because you feel its the right time for him ? or for you? because if hes crying its probably not the right time for him, hes doesn't feel ready... but if you have hit your limits and feel you need to be done nursing then , it is the time... and you'll have to wean him, and guide him through that... good luck momma! its a personal call...
    Mommy-2-B-of-3

Answer by Mommy-2-B-of-3 at 11:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I'd say at least give it a few more months. Really how much easier would you life be if he took his nap and went to bed without nursing? Not that much. You still need to put him down for a nap/to bed. When my DD was 18 months I just had a feeling that she was ready to go to bed w/o nursing. I gave it a try and she did great. If she hadn't, I'd have waited another month or 2 and then tried again.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:21 AM on May. 18, 2011