"16 And Pregnant" question:

I've started watching episodes of this show recently, and I started wondering about something after seeing the interaction between the teenage parents and their own parents.

I know the laws in a lot of places make 18 the legal age of adulthood, unless you want to drink then it's 21 or if you want to drive it's 16 or even 14 with a hardship license in some places. The legal age of sexual consent varies from state to state, but mostly is 18 if the partner is older than that, but some places have ridiculous caveats like "unless the under 18 partner isn't a virgin" or different things. With such ambiguous laws regarding what age a person is an adult, how can there be some magical age that a person is old enough to be a parent?

Some of the new parents on the show seem very immature, but others seem very mature and determined. I've met people online and in person who became parents in their mid-teens and were very responsible and mature.

Yet, no matter how mature or immature the new parent is, the fact is that, at that point, they are a parent themselves. So why do so many of their parents still treat them like children? I get that it must be extremely difficult to deal with your little girl or little boy becoming a parent sooner than you'd anticipated, but once they've become one, why still talk down to them, boss them around, etc.? Giving advice and offering help is certainly a good thing, but when they become a parent they don't need a ruling parent anymore, they need an advising one.

My girls aren't anywhere near their teens yet. I hope that they take all the knowledge and information I'll be arming them with and make smart decisions, but should one of them come to me in their teens and tell me they're pregnant, I want them to know that I'll be there for them, I'll help them in any way I can, but I won't automatically assume they're incompetent or that I have to raise their kid for them. Could be I'll change my tune if it ever happens.

Thoughts?

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 10:54 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it depends on the maturity level of the teens on whether they can be treated as an adult or not. I've saw some who are more responsible than parents in their 30's. Then again I've saw others who couldn't change a diaper without direction. So it all just depends on them.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:57 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i agree with salemwithchild
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 11:01 PM on May. 17, 2011

• *salemwitchchild
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 11:02 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I agree with you OP. But if they are acting like little children, and aren't taking care of their child, then they deserve to be treated like the immature child they're being.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 11:37 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Hey I am going to have a baby soon! As in a few hours. lol. I'm having a c-section today.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:46 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Missouri legal adult i 17 for everything except alchol and tobacco ( even marrieage is 17)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:55 AM on May. 18, 2011

• @mamawilbur, was that a Freudian slip of type? Either you or Salemwitchchild are going to have another baby soon, lol.
    AmourSpork

Comment by AmourSpork (original poster) at 11:04 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Congratulations. :)
    AmourSpork

Comment by AmourSpork (original poster) at 4:09 AM on May. 18, 2011