Did anyone NOT potty train their child (meaning that you just let your toddler decide when he/she was ready)?

I guess it's because my dd is going to be three next month that I feel this "pressure" to get her potty trained. That coupled with the usual cafemom drama-"Oh my dd was potty trained by 15 months...why is your three year old still in diapers??" I've never been the type of parent who bows down to peer pressure when it comes to making parenting decisions...but for some reason, the issue of potty training has me feeling anxious.

She'll be going to Head Start in the fall, and they do not require her to be potty trained, so there's no pressure from them. My dd is showing signs of readiness, but she's not really interested in going pee and poop anywhere other than her diapers/pull ups.

Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I waited until my kid did it on her own. She was about 3 and when she did it, she did it 100%. No accidents, it rocked.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:59 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Yeah, I find that one hard to swallow....
    Anonymous

• by 4 1/2, most kids can dress themselves and make themselves a bowl of cereal. they shouldn't have an issue peeing in the toilet.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I'm with emmyandlisa. I waited until DS was ready. He'd just turned 3.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 11:16 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My son reached his 3rd birthday and just wanted interested. I never pushed it. He started a new in home daycare with a lady who had a boy just his age who was fully potty trained (he learned from his older brother) about 3 months after his 3rd birthday. His first day there he was SO fascinated with this little boy peeing in the potty that he copied him all day long and when we got home he wanted to wear underwear. He has been potty trained since (except at night, he still wears pulls ups). I didn't push him, just introduced the potty to him a few times, and let HIM decide when he was ready.
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 11:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i know someone who just let him do it when he was ready... he was 4 1/2. "peer pressure" or not,4 1/2 is just redictulous!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 10:58 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Why is 4.5 years old "ridiculous"? Some kids take longer than others.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have five children. My youngest one potty trained himself. He didn't have time to get his diaper changed he was to busy trying to keep up with the other kids. He was 9 months old when he stopped making any messes in his diaper.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 11:02 PM on May. 17, 2011

• 9 months old?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:05 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Well, I didn't wait for him really, but, once he showed all of the readiness signs, it only took 4 days and done.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:08 PM on May. 17, 2011