How did you get into direct selling

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 10:58 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have been in lots of direct sales companies starting with Watkins when my kids were preschoolers. It's been a lot of companies through the years (my kids are now graduating from high school and in college) but I've finally found one that I think is poised to really hit it big.

One thing I will tell you if you are thinking of getting into a direct sales company is DO YOUR RESEARCH! And don't join just because you love the products. One time I joined Longaberger Baskets because I was addicted to their baskets. I know, sounds weird but it's true. (I think there's a deeper psychological aspect to that story but not enough time to tell it all here.) Find out what the market is for that product and make sure your friends and family will support you in the beginning. And if you have online marketing skills, even better!
    HealthyMom62

Answer by HealthyMom62 at 8:39 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I honestly believe it was God working in my life...I had a friend who was going to a Tastefully Simple party and I invited myself because I needed some more Beer Bread and Almond Pound Cake. It ended up being a mutual friend of ours who was having the party and when I got there, I realized our mutual friend had just become a consultant. I remember sitting at the party watching the woman training my friend and thinking,," wow..this driving me nuts, pass the damn food already!!!" and seriously thinking "how is she THIS successful at this??!! I can do this WAY better than her" and decided to give it a try, and signed up under my friend.

Long story short....It was the best decision I have EVER made!! 3 1/2 yrs later, I am on the heals of the 2nd highest level in the company and have an amazing team of 64 women all over the US AND am Top Recruiter in the Nation for this year. I never thought "work" could be this much fun!!!
    joinTStoday

Answer by joinTStoday at 5:49 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm not really into "direct selling" - it's actually called Direct Level Marketing...I don't distribute product or sell product...I just help people set up their OWN shopping account so that they can shop direct for safer, natural products that they use every day in every room of the house.

I actually used to be in chronic, daily pain, and it's a supplement that the company I work with makes that has given me immense relief from fibromialgia (sp?) and Raynodes syndrome...I am painfree as long as I don't get complacent and forget to take my supplements :) The fact that I earn a residual income at the same time is fabulous!

You can check out my webpage at www.greenMOMteam.com

livewell

Answer by livewell at 6:17 AM on May. 18, 2011

• LOL I was 18 and it was my best friends mom, she paid for it and signed me up under her....I have sold ever since...I keep saying it's been 10 years LOL it's been almost 14 years..oh how the time flies. I now run my own home based bakery, but all the direct sales I did led me up to it. (I used to sell 4 or 5 at the same time)
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:47 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I was in the Philippines and in College when I first started selling AVON, I started selling to my friends. Then, when we moved here in US I found an AVON location, I was thrilled, so I went in and signed up as a Representative again. For only $10, I started my own business again, until now I still sell AVON and have lots of loyal customers, family and friends. The possibilities are endless. If you are hardworking, it will pay off. I don't see myself NOT being an AVON Lady. I think I want to do this till I am 80!!!
    BloomingJen

Answer by BloomingJen at 7:16 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I have started with mia bella and I love it... I started to spend more time with my daughter.
    sophiasmommy720

Answer by sophiasmommy720 at 1:03 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My mom's done DS my entire life, so I started with her company. When it wasn't right for me I looked elsewhere until I found one I love!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:40 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I found a product that I loved and used, then started to sell it.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:27 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Desperation to get out of my full time job and hope of being able to dictate my own schedule and paycheck. I even remember the day I told my mom I should have multiple direct selling businesses so I have something that appeals to everyone and she asked me what's wrong with working a real job. A real job does not give me the flexibility to work when and where I want, and the last real job I had fired me for being sick. Since then I have found the ONE company that I love that appeals to everybody and I've been able to change more lives with it than any of the other companies I was with, combined!
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 11:17 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Gosh I don't even remember I have been in direct sales for 20 years.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:32 AM on May. 18, 2011