How do I get my son to sleep in his room?

My son is almost 8 and refuses to sleep in his room. I feel like we have tried everything. The other night he actually started hyperventalating when I put him to bed. My husbands solution is to yell and threaten. Right now he is having a tantrum because he doesn't want to sleep in there. I don't know what to do, I have to do it all myself because my husband is in bed already, which makes it worse. Anyone have any tips on how to make it happen?

michelle3881

Asked by michelle3881 at 11:07 PM on May. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell him he has to sleep in his room end of discussion... and don't cave in! Let him throw a fit... 8 years old is WAY to old to be acting like that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:14 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Has it been sleeping there and for some reason no longer wants to, due to some changes in the home?
    Have him go to his bed at bedtime, spend time with him, talking, reading, cuddling, than if he should wake up in the middle of the night to come to your bed, take him back...keep this routine up until he gets that his bed is in his room and its where he should sleep.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:14 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Try talking with him in the middle of the day about why he doesn't want to sleep in his room. He's old enough to at least attempt to articulate WHY he's having a hard time.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:37 PM on May. 17, 2011

• The Supernanny method for a child with sleep anxiety is to tuck him in, then lights out and sit about two-three feet from his bed with your head down and ignore any yelling crying or tantrums. Do not respond unless he gets out of bed and then say nothing but put him back in his bed and return to your position. No matter how long he cries or how many times he gets up, don't give him a verbal response and place him back in bed. When he falls asleep, leave the room. Each night, move a little further from the bed until he falls asleep without you in the room. The first few nights may be late ones but stay patient and consistent and it will pay off.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 3:42 AM on May. 18, 2011

• MamaStuart must have read my mind! I agree with her totally. Yelling and threatening him will get you nowhere.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:25 AM on May. 18, 2011

• keep sending him to bed and explain it to him see what he is afraid of
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 8:43 AM on May. 18, 2011

• ok how long has he been sleeping in his room along,ask him why he doesn't want to sleep along anymore.ask him what is he afarid of all of a sudden.and tell dh to stop yelling and threatening him he's only going to make the child scared of him
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 12:01 PM on May. 20, 2011