Have you ever gotten behind the wheel after drinking (even a sip)?

I always thought I never would, especially after my mother almost died and almost killed two carloads of innocent strangers when she was drunk and high (and apparently concussed prior to driving).

However, I did drive earlier this year two different times, one after a wine tasting and one after having a couple of drinks at a private club with a friend. It was 3-4 hours after drinking at the club but it was only an hour after the wine tasting. I wasn't drunk or even tipsy and no one was in the car with me, but I shouldn't have done it.

I just saw a story on my local news where a guy slammed into a tree after driving drunk with a child in the vehicle. He served a 1 year sentence a few years ago for an alcohol related hit-and-run. Now he's facing more prison time including child-endangerment charges. The kid is apparently okay, but is in the hospital.

I used to be paranoid to drive after only a sip; I think I'm going to go back to that.

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 11:14 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have. You can drive after you've been drinking...it just depends on the QUANTITY hence blood alcohol levels. A sip is hardly a reason to freak out.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:17 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Nope. If DH and I go out, only one of us drinks. The only time we ever have more than a "drink with dinner" is if we're having a shindig at our place, or on vacation.

I lost my best friend in high school to someone who was driving after a "few drinks". She was (barely) under the legal limit, but you'll never convince me that the outcome would have been the same if she had been sober.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:04 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes, when we go to friends for the evening, hubby usually drinks several so I have only have 1 and I'm the one to drive home.
    A "sip" or even one drink during the evening is not going to cause you to become drunk. There is nothing wrong with drinking if it is done sensibly. I was really drunk once when I was young and got so sick I decided the drunk feeling was not worth what followed. Haven't gotten drunk since.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:25 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Alcohol affects your judgement before anything else. I have had one or two drinks and then drove home, like at dinner out, over the space of several hours and accompanied by food. But if I felt buzzed or impaired, a taxi is just so much cheaper! In fact, in our small town, when all the moms get together, we take turns doing designated driver, and we buy the DD for the night a mani/pedi (we all chip in about 3$ each) and that has turned out to be so popular that we now have to draw straws to do it! in fact, one night the server at our regular watering hole wanted to be included when she found out what we did! its better to be safe than sorry. i would rather go home sober and have beautiful nails the next day, know my friends are all OK, than risk anything. we do this because some of us are teachers, etc and we can't risk anyone saying we left a bar drunk etc.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:39 AM on May. 18, 2011

• i did a couple times when i was young... 19 - 21ish.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:17 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I'm ashamed to say that 17 years ago I drove totally wasted. I saw double. I drove really slow till I got home, then I puked and passed out. Never again!
    Anonymous

• I will drive if I've had a drink but it's been at least an hour or more since I've had the one. If I have any more I always take a cab. I actually talked to my physician about this.
    Anonymous

• I don't personally care for the taste of alcohol, so I've never drank and drove. My husband won't even get behind the wheel if he's even had a sip (unless its been 1+ hours since consumption...depending on how much). He mostly drinks here at the house. Oh, and we don't allow any of the airmen that come over and drink to leave until the next morning. Wii + Just Dance + drunken airmen = funny good times :D
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:25 PM on May. 17, 2011

• One time about 6 years ago. I had been selling my pottery at an art fair all day, and we all decided to go for drinks. One of the guys said he would buy and I drank two margaritas and ate a bunch of horderves. An hour later I thought I was safe to drive, so I got in my car and was careful, but when I was about halfway home I realized that I was to drunk to drive. I got home, but have never done that again. As I was driving, all I could think about was my husband and little boy and that I was being totally stupid. I felt like a total jackass, hell I was being a total jackass.
    Never again!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:25 PM on May. 17, 2011