For moms who are "done" having kids....

If you decided to stop having children, how did you make the decision? Especially if you did not have a medical reason for your decision, what did you base your decision on?

I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 14 month old, one of each, and I'm beginning to wonder if we are done having children. At least I am feeling like I might be done making my own children. I would love to adopt someday.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

ACL2007

Asked by ACL2007 at 11:28 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I DID NOT want:
    the exhaustion of pregnancy
    feeling like a beached whale during the last trimester
    the sleepless nights
    the diapers
    the constant nursing
    the diaper bag
    the packing extra EVERYTHING for a baby

Everything that is associated with a new baby. My kids are now 4 and 7 and STILL run me into the ground. When I think about getting pregnant again there is no joy in my mind. Just this endless list of obligations and duties that I will have to do to bring another life into this world. I have one of each, and am really NOT interested, in the least, in trying for a third.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:54 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Such a personal choice. I still had time and medically I was fine. We knew financially it would be a strain to have three and offer three the same things including funding college. Education is important to us. Also, I think instinctively I knew two was what I could handle. They are 18 months apart and now 7/8. I am not sorry for my choice nor is my husband. We fit in one car, aren't overloaded by activities, we travel pretty well with four (a big part of our life), our life is mellow, happy. There four girls in my family growing up. That's fun too but we never went anywhere.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:31 PM on May. 17, 2011

• For me, it was just natural. It came to me immediately. I am content where I am and I know that our household is perfectly fine the way it is. I never wanted a big family anyway, so 1-2 has been my limit since I even considered having kids.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 11:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Well, I think that's it, you just kind of know. I myself never wanted children, but the universe had other plans for me (we used protection of all sorts). I did have a hysterectomy out of necessity, but I was relieved honestly. If you feel fulfilled, go with your gut.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 11:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I am prego with my 3rd and im done after this one, without any doubt. I just know that i'm done.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:39 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have 4....that's how I knew I was done =)
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I still would like another boy (poor son among 3 sisters...I was youngest out of 3, two older brothers). But, I told myself, once I hit 30, I was done giving birth. Maybe we'll be financially able to adopt one of these days :/
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:48 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I do have medical problems and the pregnancy was very difficult. Minus my health I would still choose not to have any more children. Well my husband is fixed. He had two children in his first marirage. Minus his fixed status I still wouldnt pursue alternative means.
    I love my son and i dont want to spoil the relationship I have with him by having another. He has a half brother at his dads house and a cousin who spends alot of time with him. Both relationships are stressed. Long story.
    I work my butt of taking care of one, I just choose not to have more because I struggle, if i can make a choice not to struggle, not having another insures my happiness. sometimes i feel bad about it all but I dont focus on it.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 11:54 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My age. My baby came as a surprise. My only child was 17 yrs. old--graduating high school. I was almost 40. Although we hadn't planned it, I couldn't be happier. That baby is my joy. He'll be 2 in July. I think I'm a better mom this time around due to wisdom and patience.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:02 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I had three kids. My first two were 5 yrs apart and the nest two were 6 yrs apart. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I like the spacing out because I never had two in diapers at one time. I decided when my last child was born that there would be no more. I think three is enough.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:12 AM on May. 18, 2011