How long should it take to build an addition?

the contractor said they would start the build in april and nothing yet im frustrated

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 11:29 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Id be looking for a new contractor.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:34 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I dont know how long it should take but Id advise you to hire a professional and preferably not a friend or family member. My friend had a family member doing their extension and it took forever because he was doing it on his time.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 12:19 AM on May. 18, 2011

• No idea. My neighbor's took 8 months. Another friend knocked down their house to build the new. That took a full year.
    Anonymous

• if they said they'd start in april, and they haven't started yet...there may be a problem. definetely look into it, and be sure they are a legitamate company!
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 4:05 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Do you have a finish time penalty in your contract?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:47 AM on May. 18, 2011

• The city could be holding them up with the permits. The best thing to do is to call the contractor and ask if something is holding them up. I would imagine that they want to get to work so they can get paid. I hope you didn't pay them up front though.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:39 AM on May. 18, 2011

• There are a lot of things that can hold up the start for construction. Did you hire someone that is doing all the work themselves or are they hiring sub contractors to do some of it? Did you have to have prints drawn up for this? A lot of of times depending on the city you are required to turn in a set of stamped drawings for the job no matter how small it might be. That means you must have the prints drawn up and then you must get them stamped. That in itself can take awhile. After that, it must be submitted to the city and they look them over. If they do not like something on it, they could kick it back to the contractor to fix. OR if the city is busy, they could just put it on the back burner. It is actually out of the contractors hands. Plus weather could be an issue as well. If it has been raining a lot and they have to pour a foundation, they are not going to want to do that if the Earth is soggy.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:09 AM on May. 18, 2011

• It depends on what you are doing. It took about 6 months for our whole house to be built..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:52 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It depends on the size but it shouldn't take more than a few months. If they were supposed to have started already and haven't I would be calling to find out what the hold up is.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 1:16 PM on May. 18, 2011

• That is an all too common problem unfortunately. Over promise and under deliver. I hope they start soon.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 3:59 PM on May. 18, 2011