What do you think about putting a 2 year old in time out, or even swatting them, for not using the potty?

Just would like some feedback on the subject to see where y'all stand.....

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 12:16 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No, I would not swat or time-out a 2 yr old over using the potty. All that does is make going potty a power struggle, and if there are 'negative consequences' attached to it the child may become even more resistive to using the potty. Besides some 2 yr olds are not ready for potty training and to push and punish them would make the whole potty training thing even more difficult.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:37 AM on May. 18, 2011

• YOU ARE NEVER SUPPOSED TO PUNISH THEM FOR NOT BEING POTTY TRAINED. that is wrong! thats not there fault!
    i would never swat my 2 year old for anything anyway and i dont even give him time outs because hes just a baby .... he doesnt really do anything deserving of a time out. but if he did, i would consider a time out, not a swat - but never for not using the potty. i havent even started potty training my son yet at all and he turns to on the 22nd.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:18 AM on May. 18, 2011

• NO! Punishment is ALWAYS a BAD idea, but for a two year old regarding use of potty?? NO! They don't even have that great control over their body functions yet, let alone a sophisticated understanding of the whole use the potty thing. That's just cruel.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:19 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree with these ladies- punishing is NOT the way to go!
    We do timeouts for correcting bad behavior, but absolutely not with potty training. We used praise when he was successful, and rushed him to the toilet for every accident, and reminded him to tell Mommy and Daddy when he needed to go (about 4,000 times a day at first). I'd highly recommend the 3 day method, which I can e-mail you, if you PM me your email address. It's all about positive reinforcement, and for us, it worked in a day and a half. It's not 100%, because they're YOUNG, and they will have accidents. No method will be 100%. We're very happy with how well DS is doing!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:23 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Even, I, as an old school mom, would have to say punishing for not using the potty is a very bad idea. Never punish for a potty mistake... hell, those could even happen to you and I on a bad day... sigh....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:26 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I think that it sets up a power struggle, that the parent is NOT going to win.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:17 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I say No don't punish them for not using the potty or for accidents period
    traren

Answer by traren at 12:20 AM on May. 18, 2011

• not for not going potty try and make it fun for them to go potty if having trouble try putting up a sticker chart and when its full let them get a prize
    KM52mom

Answer by KM52mom at 12:21 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I think there is something seriously wrong with a parent who would act that way! Children will train on THEIR TIME now yours. Grow up & deal with that fact or don't have children!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:15 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I have six kids and I agree with your parenting style, but on the subject of kids who are still wet at night sometimes when they're older, I have one who was like that and my sister also had a daughter who just continued to wet the bed well into school-age. My advice there is to just keep her on a mattress protector, change the sheets every time, and just put up with it because she will eventually grow out of it and making an issue of it will only undermine her self-esteem. My bed-wetter girl is 13 now and no more problems but it's only been a few years now since her last accident. My sister's daughter was also about 10 before she stopped completely. It's no big deal to me.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:33 AM on May. 18, 2011