How do you punish your 3 yr old

What kind of punishments do you give your 3 yr old when they dont listen or are bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't. Three year olds are not "bad", they are pure sweet and delicious. She sometimes doesn't listen, but aren't you also guilty of that at times? Show her love and respect, connect with her, see her perspective, and learn with her. Kids are amazing and far too many parents just try to dominate and control them instead of loving and nurturing. If she disappoints you, try to analyse the situation and see why she did what she did. A lot of times it's because you're not paying attention to her. So just cut that problem out before it happens by giving her LOTS of attention. Play with her. Teach her.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:37 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I didn't punish, I taught him not to do whatever he was doing. He listened or he got the 1!2!3!...then, he knew to move. LOL

And I had it in my mind that kids are not inherently bad....they are either tired, frustrated or trying to learn a limit.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:38 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Dang judimary...we almost posted the same thing in a way...and at the same time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:39 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Not even time outs?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:41 AM on May. 18, 2011

• my daughter gets spoken to in a firm tone when she's mis-behaving, simply to correct. If she does something that is unacceptable like hurting her sister deliberately, she gets a time out. There have been occasions where she's gotten a swat on the butt for persistant mean-ness to others, but this is very rare.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:42 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I am not sure i ever put my son in time-out once...

It takes time, thought and effort, but, you can have a well behaved child using only positive interactions.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:43 AM on May. 18, 2011

• with my 3 year old time out n spanking did NOT work. everytime her n her brother fought over a toy i took the toy away put it in a trash bag n put it away after they lost half their toys they started sharing. When she told me no or talked back to me she had to sit in the time out chair in the play room n watch her brother play with all of her toys when that stopped working i started taking away her pillows favorite stuffed animals n blankies at nap time n any other time i took away her princess dresses n ear rings. she finally started understanding that she didnt get anything back til she said she was sorry and started listening to me.
    tazzii310

Answer by tazzii310 at 12:52 AM on May. 18, 2011

• For those of us who don't have perfect childen, we do time out :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Braden, if he hears 1,2,3....what comes after 3? What made him learn to be fearful of what comes after 3? What is by 3 he didn't listen? Honestly just curious...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on May. 18, 2011

• All children are different. Not all of them are prefect.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 AM on May. 18, 2011