To all you interior design loving moms, Is this a horrible design choice

I'm completely remodeling the kitchen in a fixer upper I just bought. My main inspiration was this glass tile backsplash that I fell in love with. Then I found a great quartz countertop to go with it that Is a very light cream color. The countertop has a slight sparkle to it but nothing to much pattern wise. The floors are a medium tone wood.

So the guy at home depot when I was discussing cabinets told me I should go with a dark cabinet color like a chocolate to create contrast with the cabinets. I know that most people do that either light cabinets/dark counters or dark cabinets/light counters. I do like the chocolate colored cabinets but I really like the look of these cream colored cabinets I saw in a sample design.

I realize it's my house and technically I can do whatever I want but I am very afraid of making a horrible choice and having an ugly kitchen since this isn't the sort of thing you redo every 5 years. Plus I want to create something that will sell well when I'm ready to move on.

My question is, Is it a bad idea to have light cabinets and a light countertop together? Does anyone here have something like that, do you think it looks good?

There will be a dark color on the wall and there is color in the backsplash as well as wood floors so the whole thing won't be light and washed out. The house was built in the 20s so I'm trying to go with a traditional feel overall.

Thanks for any input

kayslay

Asked by kayslay at 12:42 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I can't really say without the visual. However, if you look in any design magazine....you will always see at least one kitchen with white cabinets and white marble counter tops...it's a classic design. I actually modeled my kitchen from that look when we remodeled ours. So, I say if you like the light with light, then do it and I'm sure it will be beautiful:)
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 3:57 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would pick a complementary color. Maybe instead of doing a cream cabinet with cream counters, you could do cream counters and a slightly darker cabinet, but still light in color (rather than a deep color). Are you going to paint the kitchen walls? If so, you could do the light countertop and light cabinets, because the walls wouldn't be a light color. If it's all light, it will wash out your kitchen. Try not to get light colored appliances, too.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 1:18 AM on May. 18, 2011

• No set rule. But we need to see pictures.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:45 AM on May. 18, 2011

• We just went through a kitchen remodel recently and one of the big things I focused on was having a bit of contrast as well. I have cabinets on the lighter side and my counters are darker (we have granite), providing contrast but they're not too dark. It's difficult to answer your question without seeing samples and knowing the rest of the colors in your kitchen (floor, walls, appliances, etc.).

Go to design houses, model homes, home improvement stores, look through magazines and the internet to get an idea of exactly the look you're going for and maybe work from there. I had accumulated reams of magazine clippings by the time we decided to remodel and knew pretty much the style direction I was headed towards. Have fun and don't stress; it'll be beautiful I'm sure!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Click HERE...

It is a cool interactive design tool, that will give you some idea of what it will look like.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:22 AM on May. 18, 2011

• as an interior design major. It's not a bad idea. But it maybe look weird having dark floors and a colored back splash and creamy colored cabinets. I kinda see it this way. Dark Floors, Light Counter-tops, Dark cabinets..you see? Kinda like a stripping thing. Maybe even go dark floors, a lighter counter-top and then an slightly lighter cabinet. just be extremely careful not to go light overboard.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 1:45 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I would go with the chocolate ones honey. It will be much better for you in the long run. Visually and it will cover any scufs or dings or marks way better than a cream colored cabinet. GL
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 8:17 AM on May. 18, 2011

• What a hard choice! We are remodeling our bathroom and I am just pulling my hair out with all the decisions that we have to live with. Good luck, I don't have an opinion, I think whatever you want to do will look nice.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:36 AM on May. 18, 2011

• You should make a mini shoe box model of your kitchen like architects do. I seen it on one of those design shows.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 12:53 AM on May. 18, 2011

• We have light cabinets and countertop and I think it looks good and I don't think it will ever go out of style.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:54 AM on May. 18, 2011