UTI? Natural remedies.

This is really two questions. PLEASE tell me it doesn't sound like my daughter is starting her period. We went out this afternoon for 3 hours. She had to pee BAD every hour. When we got home she really had to go and when she came out she said, "Oh, I changed my panties, they had some red on them". I freaked a little inside and asked to see them. It doesn't look like period blood. She's only 8 but I know kids can start early. She did say it hurt a bit when she peed. I have called the doc(they should be calling back in a sec) but I can't get her in until Monday anyway. If this does sound like a UTI like I think it is, aside from 100% cranberry juice and water what else can I do? I'd prefer natural remedies if at all possible.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Yep, cranberry pills worked for me, because they're more concentrated than the juice (which is full of a lot of WATER). Also, get her to eat some plain yogurt to help the pH balance of everything down there.
    nuclear_sugar

Answer by nuclear_sugar at 10:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Try the Azo cranberry tablets. There are two kinds of Azo, one with cranberry, and one with the active ingredient Pyridium, which will only kill the pain (and make her pee orange).
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• If she has a UTI she needs to be on meds especially if she has uremia...blood in her urine...that is not normal. They should ask for a urine sample and give her some Macrodantin or other antibiotic. I lived with these UTI's as a child and they are not fun. She is experiencing urgency...where she feels like she has to go every two seconds and only a little comes out....and it burns too. Get her to the doctors please!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I wouldn't play around with natural remidies in a child. It could lead to a kidney infection and a hospital stay if "remedy" doesn't work. I would take her in and get her on antibiotics asap.
    In addition (as a pediatircs nurse I have to say this) Anything.... yes ANYTHING... herbal or whatever is a DRUG... if it causes a chage in the body and has potential side effects it's a drug! And the the problem with herbals is they are NOT regulated by the FDA so it can say it does something and it can be a lie... unlike medications. So unless you know the dosage of an herbal for your child's weight I wouldn't give any.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2008