What do you do when you can't sleep?

I am having a bad night. For some reason I can't seem to get my brain to shut off. Just wondering, what do you do when you can't sleep? Do you read, watch tv, drink warm milk, etc.?

3mom627

Asked by 3mom627 at 1:05 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Health

• I am having a bad night too. It's been a hell week for me (boyfriend cheated then left me, moving to an apartment right across from him!, no job, hardly any money..and I am going to be alone on my 21st bday).....................so i cant sleep..........I stare at the computer fiddling around till i cant keep my eyes open.

Hope u feel better! take a warm bath to relax you, then read for a while..that sometimes helps me
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 2:01 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I sit on my bed and meditate. I concentrate on my breathing. Then when I lie down, if my mind is racing, I concentrate on me senses, what I smell, hear, feel. If my mind wanders I redirect it to one of those things.

I have always been a good sleeper and could always fall asleep within minutes of going to be, but I have some pretty heavy stuff going on in my life right now and have had many sleepless night in the past few months. Since I have been meditating and concentrating on my senses, it has helped tremendously.

Good luck... Hope you find sleep.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:13 AM on May. 18, 2011

• read!!!! or watch a movie I've already seen a million times lol harry potter any of them the music puts me right to sleep I probably only watch about 10 minutes of it and I'm fast asleep.

traren

Answer by traren at 1:13 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I spell in my head: R-E-L-A-X breathe breathe R-E-L-A-X. It doesn't really work, but my spelling has improved.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:19 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Drink celestial seasonings sleepytime tea, listen to a white noise, and come on here until my body shuts down.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 1:49 AM on May. 18, 2011

• read, clean, go online
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:40 AM on May. 18, 2011

• You aren't alone, momma. I've been in the same boat for a week and a half. Suddenly, my husband and I have traded places--he's finding sleep and rising when he should, and I'm the one with terrible insomnia.

When I can't sleep, there's a variety of things I try. I try to tucker myself out with cleaning, I try to meditate, I try to read a book, I light incense for aromatherapy, I take a shower (good grief I wish I had a bath tub!), I drink some hot chamomile tea, and when all else fails... I just give up and get on-line. I can be ready to collapse at the monitor, but as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm wide awake. v_v

I hope you're able to find rest and peaceful sleep soon.
    dream-catcher

Answer by dream-catcher at 2:45 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I usually countdown from 100..most times I take a melatonin pill. I'm up too early this morning again...
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 4:57 AM on May. 18, 2011

• pop an ambien CR. Yeah, I take the easy way out.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:00 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I will get up and go into the livingroom. Then I get comfy on the futon, and watch tv or read until I get tired and when I am feeling tired I will stay in the livingroom and see if I can get to sleep there.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:44 AM on May. 18, 2011