Scratching inner elbow until it bleeds

my DD (2.5 yr) is always scratching her inner Elbow area and does it so often that it leaves cuts and bleeds. She doesn't have a rash, there's nothing there, it's not dry or anything. I did notice that her skin in that area is lighter than the rest of her arm kind of like patch of lighter skin but it's texture isn't any different. How do I stop her? She says it hurts but I think it's because she's scratching so much causing cuts. Poor kid

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 1:07 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Itching could be a sign of kidney failure or poor circulation... It could also just be a nervous habit, id talk to her doctor and find out
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:34 AM on May. 18, 2011

• my ds has done similar things since he was 2ish....he will pick at his toes and the skin around his thumbs. According to the majority of moms that replied to the post(no bashing intended for them) i put up about it....they will grow out of it and keep their hands occupied. He's almost 3.5 and he picked around both thumbs so bad a few nights ago they bled and we didnt know until the morning. BUT! if you think it might be itch related, try putting an anti itch r even making her keep a bandaid on the area to stop her.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 1:53 AM on May. 18, 2011

• When I was little I had eczema really bad and that's where it really affected me. I know you said she doesn't have any signs, but just keep an eye on it in case something develops. Also, ask her Dr. It could be as simple as an allergy to laundry detergent, soap, or just because she's nervous.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:02 AM on May. 18, 2011

• i'm not sure...maybe take her to a dermatologist?
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 4:12 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My son itches like crazy and the doctor thought it was scabies but the cream didn't help. I've tried Claritin, different lotions, bug bite creams, etc. and nothing seems to work. He also scratches til he bleeds and it is frustrating.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 12:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i agree, it's something that they will eventually grow out of, if there is no rash there at all... i would still talk to her dr about it though
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:03 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Talk to her pediatrician about it and you should be able to figure out what needs to be done to remedy the itch.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:17 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Talk to her Ped./
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:13 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Take her to a demetologist and i would put cetaphil cream on there. I have roscae on my face and it has helped alot from itching.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 12:34 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My sister does that but she does have eczema.
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 6:54 PM on May. 19, 2011