For breastfeeding moms....

When my daughter was a little over three months we found out she had acid reflux after having a barium swollow done on her so she has been on previcid this whole time, she is 13 months now. Over time the doctors have had to raise her dosage twice cause she wasnt growing out of it and they gave her a new dose according to her weight. Well I took her in for a GI visit the other day and told the doc that now she is over 12 months I would like to try and start weening her off of the previcid and he agreed for one bc when a baby is on the meds too long it can back fire in the long run and two babys typically grow out of reflux around 12 months. K so we took her down to half her dose for the next two weeks which were about to go on the second week of that and then the last two weeks were just doint every other day of previcid. My daughter normally gets a little fussy during feedings and will pull away atleast once but now that were starting to ween her from the med shes pulling away much and fussing much more. My question is, does your baby typically pull away several times in the begining of feedings and fuss or do I need to get on the phone and let the doctor know about this? I just hate to be wrong and have her back on the full dose again but then again it could ruin her asaphagus if Im right and do nothing about it. Were going on 4 days of this pulling away many times so not sure if I should call tomorrow?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:23 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know many moms are strict breastfeeding moms and don't want to use a bottle, but my nephew had reflux and they had my sister put cereal into his bottle ( he was on formula but you could pump) the extra weight helped keep it down, and then he had to be proped up for 30 min. After every feeding. He grew out of it by 9 months. I would much rather put my baby on a bottle of pumped breast milk than continue to give medication,
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:30 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Cereal doesn't stop the acid though PP, the acid can still mess up the throat even if the food doesn't come back up. Pumping breastmilk is very very dificult its not easy at all and would most likely mean supplimenting in the long run, medication is better than formula IMO
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:14 PM on May. 20, 2011