Is it true too much water retention or weight gain causes premature labor?

Ok so im heading to 35 weeks pregnant in like 2 or 3 days with my first baby and im extreamly swollen. Recently started experiencing lower back pain as well as vaginal pain. Im always thirsty...ALWAYS! Before my pregnancy i weighed about 125 and my height was 5'3 which is normal. Now i weigh a wompping 200lbs! My OB/GYN is not very helpful with information, just checks heartbeat and sends me home. Am I retaining too much water? i've read somewhere that too much weight gain can cause premature labor and a co-worker says she had to give birth early due to the same situation. Is it true that this may cause premature labor or is my co-worker just trying to make me nervous or something?

CatieRose

Asked by CatieRose at 2:07 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I've never heard that water retention can cause premature labor...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:09 AM on May. 18, 2011

• No none of that is true. If you are retaining water from preeclampsia they can take a baby prematurly but it wont cause labor.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 2:44 AM on May. 18, 2011

• no it will not cause premature labor but it honestly sounds like you have high blood sugars that would account for the weight and the thirst, and when you are thirsty you actually will retain water I know weird the more you drink the less you retain.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:48 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I dont think thats true. Look it up and see. good luck mama..
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 7:25 AM on May. 18, 2011