Had an episiotomy?

With my son I had an episiotomy. So will I have to get another one with my daughter? Or will it just tear? Or will they cut the other side if they have to?

Micki-Cook

Asked by Micki-Cook at 2:47 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No you don't need one you are more likely to tear there but if you are pushing in an upright position and doing it when you feel the urge etc not by a ten count you could be just fine you could be intact at the end
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:52 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Oh man, will it make the scar worse if I do happen to tear?
    Micki-Cook

Comment by Micki-Cook (original poster) at 2:55 AM on May. 18, 2011

• no a natural tear is much much better than a surgical cut and it will heal better
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:04 AM on May. 18, 2011

• You don't have to tear OR have an episiotomy though!

There are things you can do to prevent tearing so obviously you can birth with an intact perineum-- no need for an episiotomy!
    I encourage you to look into that and work for a healthier and more enjoyable experience, good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:19 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I've had three episiotomies, one tear, the other nothing. Everything is just fine. Nothing to worry about.

daps

Answer by daps at 6:12 AM on May. 18, 2011