Homework assignment?

My first grader's teacher asked children in their homework to make a face out of coins value 1 penny, nickel, and dime.Under that face the child should write I am (HIs or her name) and below "i am woth" and the sum of coins of which the portret made.The value turns to be no more than 2 dollars. Majority of parents did the assignment and the teacher posted it on class window. I found it degrading and told my daughter that we change an assignment a bit. She got the full credit for that version, but teacher refused to display it with the work of all other children. MY daughter is very upset that her work was not posted, but the teacher told that she won't posted it. So what do you think?am i wrong?

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 2:55 AM on May. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So all of the children are only worth $2? That doesn't sound right, but I guess she was just trying to get them to be able to count money? What did you and your daughter do for the assignment?
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 2:59 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Majority of the children worth less than 2 dollars. It looked like "i am Ryan, i am worth $1.25. It is at the class window and it is viard. We did two versions on one we wrote this is portret of doll Rosa, the portret is worth $1.89. On other version we printed the picture of the doll, its market price, copied and counted this price of $19.88 in coins and bills.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:07 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I think that I would have asked the teacher what the reasoning behind the assignment was? If it was to teach how to count money, then I can see the reasoning behind it, though I think that it was odd to say that the kids were only worth that much. If it was a way to combine a "self portrait" art lesson with money counting, then, not the best way maybe, but ok....

If she was wanting to get at the fact that, really, if we break it down scientifically, we really aren't worth that much (as far as how much zinc, how much iron, etc we are made of... - NOT that I think this is all a person is worth - just that you can find studies and articles on the whole "how much is the human body worth" sorts of things...) But if THIS is what she was getting at, then I think it's very inappropriate for 1st grade.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:27 AM on May. 18, 2011

• cont

I think, honestly, I would ask for a meeting with her (and possibly the principal) and, in a calm way, ask her to explain the reasoning behind the assignment and why she chose to not display it.

good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:29 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I think you have every right to ask for a meeting with the teacher to ask her why she had the assignment worded the way it was. I am not sure if you did this although if it were me I would have wrote a note to her explaining why I didn't like the way it was worded.

It might be a thing were the teacher is teaching them about money and didn't think anything of what she was having them write. Like she didn't think anything of having them say "I am worth "X".

While I understand that it is hard for your DD to not have her worked displayed the teacher probably did it to teach her a lesson. I understand that she is only in first grade although as she gets older she might not even get credit for doing a different assignment. AS your kids get older you learn what battles to pick with the schools, this just might be a learning lesson for your child.  Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:26 AM on May. 18, 2011

• She could have made it so much more less offensive if she simply had them write "my smiley face is worth____" and not had them say "I am worth ______" . You might make that suggestion to her for future classes.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:40 AM on May. 18, 2011

• It is always better to communicate with someone than to accuse or harbor ill feelings. Ask for a meeting with the teacher to discuss the assignment. Tell her how you feel and invite her to explain what she was expecting from this assignment. I agree with cornflakegirl3. The teacher may have had just the money lesson for her motive and didn't think twice about the wording of the assignment. In first grade, it seems reasonable to introduce the concept of money and its worth in small increments and I'm thinking this as a retired Teaching Assistant in a public school.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:22 AM on May. 18, 2011

• i would sit with the teacher and explain your reasoning
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 8:42 AM on May. 18, 2011

• There was no wording whatsoever on the assignment itself explaining what to do. It was a circle, below the circle was line I am______, below the line was 'I am worth_________'. The rest the teacher said she explained to children. The goal of it was to count money in small increments. At least 4 other parents found it offensive and decided not to do it or get it done in a different way. Their work is not displayed either. I see that the only thing my daughter learned is that she have to be obedient to the teacher word to word, without any space for her own opinion.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would definitely have a meeting with the teacher. Is she young? It sounds like she really needs to learn a better way of getting the lesson through to the kids. How can she not understand that the assignment might be found offensive by some parents?
    amycorp

Answer by amycorp at 12:12 PM on May. 19, 2011