Worried about my daughter...

I know that all babies are different, including siblings. I know I shouldn't compare my DDs to each other. I am certain, though, that DD2 has developmental delays. She's seeing a geneticist next month (I had to fight the doctor to get that).

Physically she has

--either craniosynostosis or plagiocephaly (they keep changing their mind on this; she's only had one CT and one x-ray; I asked for a specialist for it and the doctor won't do the referral and Medicaid won't let me just go wherever I think I should).

--clavicular sclerosis and other bone abnormalities in that area

--Sebaceous Nevus (directly above the skull malformation)

--she was diagnosed with failure to thrive in spite of a huge appetite for breastmilk (and they refused to test my milk), so I was told to forcefeed her formula round the clock from 4mos to 6mos and she gained weight rapidly

--before the weight gain, she had all of the noticeable features of a Williams Syndrome baby, but the ped insists it couldn't possibly be that, yet wouldn't order a simple test to rule that out

--various digestive issues

--exema-looking rash on face, trunk, and comes-and-goes in skin creases (yeast treatments and diaper rash treatments didn't make any difference)

developmentally

--is only just now trying to lift self while laying on back or belly

--will not swallow baby food or juice, especially if food or cereal is on spoon (might take it from a bottle)

--does not alert us when she's soiled or achy (she's been trying to grow teeth since 3mos but they haven't cut and she never cries about it, just chews on hands and drools)

I think the pediatrician is an idiot. I'm looking for another one, but apparently docs have a cap to new medicaid patients each month and I'm not calling them quick enough or something. Meanwhile, my only recourse for getting the ped to listen is to tell her that if she is so sure my kids are perfectly healthy in every way then she can write a note in their chart saying that there is nothing wrong with them at all (she won't for liability reasons, only way I got geneticist appointment). 

At this point in DD1's development, she was sitting up, crawling, loved solids, and drinking from a sippy cup. She had all her teeth by her 1yr dental checkup (which the dentist said isn't average). She was already saying Mama and such, whereas her little sister is just now starting to try to babble.

I guess I'm just ranting/venting. If she's delayed in any way, I'm not going to love her any differently or treat her any differently (unless that's part of the treatment plan).

She's the happiest baby I've ever met in my life.

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 2:56 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would keep pushing the doctor to test and if they won't see if you can get a diffrent doctor.
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 8:53 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Hi, i just want to support you. I know you should be persistent. I think you should trust your intuition and check it. Why genetics specialist?
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 3:19 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I see. What state are you? In CA we encounter a lot of resistance to treat any medical problems, even though we have insurance. It is very hard to get to any specialist because the phisician will not give the referral. So I admire your persistance in getting things done. Hope everything will turn fine for your daughter.
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 3:34 AM on May. 18, 2011

• hope you're able to find a better pediatrician! and i hope you get your answers too...
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 4:12 AM on May. 18, 2011

• How old is she? Is there a history on either side of the family of genetic problems? Hugs sweetie, I hope your persistence pays off! My daughter's pediatrician told me for 18 years that she didn't have a weight problem, top 95 percentile in height and weight, then referred her to a gynecologist who is wayyyy overweight who sat there and told her she is obese!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:13 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Are your DD's twins?
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 7:25 AM on May. 18, 2011

• How old is your daughter?
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:46 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Continue to be persistant and look for a new pedi. Have you looked at your local hospitals? Usually the ones who work directly out of the hospital will give referrals more easily. Usually the childrens hospitals have really great pedis that have offices in their buildings
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 2:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• wow... well i have 3 girls.. my oldest didn't sit, roll, or crawl until after 12 months, and walked at 16 months... my middle baby rolled at 6 months, sat at 8... crawled and walked between 14 and 16 months... NEITHER of my kids had a single tooth before they were 18 months...
    compared to my "normal" kids (who have both been tested but have NO developmental delays)... your kid seems right on track...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If you aren't happy with your pediatrician, change them.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:08 PM on May. 18, 2011