If you practiced CIO with your first child, did you practice it with subsequent children?

I didn't know there was a name for what I was doing until a friend mentioned CIO when our preschoolers were both babies. It worked great for DD1, but I don't practice it for DD2 because of all of her health issues. DD2 so rarely cries that the second she does I'm rushing to her to find out what's wrong, but with DD1 I know I can wait a minute or two and listen to the intonation of her cries. She's four now, so it's usually yelling and saying what she wants now, though, lol.

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 4:26 AM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I did with my first, a modified method too. I couldn't stand to hear him cry though. I would sit outside his room and cry too! lol and go in every 2-3 mins and reassure him. If his cries were starting to settle though I would not go back in because that would set him off again. We really only had to do it for a few days and then he was a super star at bed time!
    My dd was wonderful, she would go to sleep fine, I would nurse her and lay her down and not a peep from the girl till the middle of the night. That's when I discovered she was just using me as a soother. So when I would put her to bed I would put a ton of soothers (5 or so) all around her crib. That way she would wake, find one, plop it in and go back to sleep.
    I couldn't really do the cio with my 3rd, I felt bad for my older kids who needed to sleep. DH could rock her in his arms and she would conk out in no time and he could lay her down just fine.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:35 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I did the same thing with all my children. I never followed the CIO method fully although I did let my children cry and I didn't always rush to their side. I did that with all 3 of my children. I think everyone does what is best for them and my children are now 14, 12, and 9 and they are all fine.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:18 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I practiced a modified CIO with both children. (I would let them cry but I would reassure them every 5-10 min and never let them get to the point of heavy crying-screaming) It was not working well on my second,she would cry the whole nap time off and on so she was more 'weaned' into it. I let her CIO one nap, then when she was going to sleep well with that one I added another one....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:20 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I preactice a modified version with all 5 ( I comfort every 15 minutes until crying stops) "ferber method"
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:48 PM on May. 18, 2011