How can I get my 9 month old to stop throwing herself backwards?

She does it when she's going to throw a fit and slammed her head off the sofa, floor, walls, toys, us, car seats. I try to keep a pillow behind her at all times but sometimes she misses, is this just something they have to grow out of?

letlovegrow2524

Asked by letlovegrow2524 at 4:33 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My nephew did/still does the same thing. He turned 12 months in April. Just spazzes, arches, and pitches a fit and nothing we tried while he was here helped--I think it's just a phase, but here's a bump. <3
    dream-catcher

Answer by dream-catcher at 4:37 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes, it is. My grandson is not quite 2, but he throws himself on the floor, too, when he wants to throw a tantrum. When she does this, simply pick her up and put her in her crib, pack 'n play, whatever to confine her until the fit is over even if she's screaming and crying. Just put her somewhere safe where she can finish it off. The key, however, is consistency; you have to keep doing this until she realizes that you are not going to give in or react to her by giving her lots of attention. It will be hard, especially if she cries and screams for a long time. But better to keep her safe than be sorry if she hurts herself badly.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:12 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My son did the same thing, he's now 2 and still does it occasionally, but he's learned his lesson and slowly lays back on the floor (so he doesn't hit his head) before throwing a tantrum.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:58 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Oy! What about keeping a bicycle helmet nearby and putting it on her at the start of her tantrum... Then let her work out her anger without damage to her head!
    Anonymous