Car seat positions

When do you think a child should be turned forward facing? When did or when are you going to make the switch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think a child should be turned forward facing no sooner than 1 year/20 pounds and be rear facing no longer than the seats height/weight requirements allow for the rear facing position...

My children were not 20 pounds until they were 18 months and 22 months...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:13 AM on May. 18, 2011

• They are saying children should be in rear facing seat until they are two now. However my daughter was turned as soon as she reached 20lbs. She just did;n't seem very comfortable. She was about 13 months old.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 9:55 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I think a child should RF as long as possible. RF is 5 times safer meaning.... a RFing child has a 92% chance of walking away perfectly unharmed in an accident... a forward facing child only 60%!! By most standards 60% is FAILING... I won't put my son forward facing until he has to be with those statistics!
    My son is still RF... he's almost 3, 40 inches, 30 lbs.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:37 AM on May. 18, 2011

• A child should be turned FF NO SOONER then 12 mos and 20 lbs, but can, and should, remain rear facing longer then that. 12 mos and 20 lbs is the legal MINIMUM. The current AAP and NHSTA recommendations are RF to at least 2 yrs/30 lbs, but encourage you to keep your child RF to the limit of the seat.
    My first was turned at 19 lbs, a few days shy of her first birthday, simply because I didn't know the things that I know now. My son, who will be 4 in August, still rides RF most of the time. I'm not entirely sure when I will turn him full time yet, but it definitely will not be until he's at least 30 lbs (he's a peanut, been 28 lbs for months now). The seat I have will hold him rear facing until he is 40 lbs, so I don't have to make that decision anytime soon.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:47 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Anon344, while your decision may not be the same as mine, I do applaud you for keeping your child RF to the legally required age and weight, as so many parents don't even do that!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:48 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Babies SHOULD be RF for as long as possible the neck/spine do not fuse and harder to the skull til between 3-6 years old so the longer the better. MY first 2 kids I did not know this info and turned them when legal, my 3d child I learned atleast 3 and 30lbs and thats what I did...he never complained about RFing but when he started limping when we'd get out of the car after more than a 10 min drive we turned him FFing. He was very very tall..yeah I know I knoa the excuse everyone used but he was 3 and 30lbs and 43 inches tall too though. We will ERF my 4th child til atleast 3 and 30lbs we will see after that.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:33 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Minimum is 1 and 20lbs. I personally believe in RFing to the limits of the seat. My DD RF'd to 4years9months. After all the research Ive done, the crash tests and stories, if I were to have another child, they would RF to about 6
    MommyBoha

Answer by MommyBoha at 7:32 AM on May. 21, 2011