Arnold and other public figures

So now Arnold has come out about his love child.... Miley Cyrus has had all kinds of issues, John Edwards had an affair while his wife was dying. All kinds of other politicians, actors, singers, and atheletes cause all kinds of problems. The media makes this huge deal about it.

What are our children learning from all this? I mean I can talk to my dd about the things she sees and hears. I really hope she listens.

It seems these famous people think they have a free pass to be idiots, sluts, and crooks.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:13 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Public officials should be held to a higher standard, but today's society doesn't care unless it directly affects them.

My husband and I are teaching our children how to choose a role model and we guide them toward the people that are good role models. At the ages of 12 & 10 my children's role models are their parents, grandparents (except my worthless father), a few teachers and a few select others.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:20 AM on May. 18, 2011

• As a public figure I think the same should hold true.

I agree they should. But you will get a lot of people saying that what they do in their private live should be private. We heard that when Clinton was busy with his intern.

People are human, and they will make mistakes and do wrong things, but I think if you choose to be in the public eye, so to speak, you should be willing to be held to a higher standard and try to live your life as an example. There's too much "do as I say, not as I do" in the world today.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 8:31 AM on May. 18, 2011

• These are real people. They are not Gods. What they do goes on in all groups of people. It just make the news with them. How horrible for their families.
    A "regular" person will be easier forgiven.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:22 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I don't hold politicians, actors and musicians up as people my son should look up to. He doesn't watch much TV so he doesn't know any any of the three people you mentioned in your OP. He is 8 and is out playing and doing things kids his age should be doing. When he does hear about a situation we use it as a learning opportunity. My son views his dad and others close to us as people he should look up to and learn how to be a good person from.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 9:45 AM on May. 18, 2011

• You've kind of hit on one of my pet peeves but I'm not disappointed with the celebrities.

When we let people be celebrities, they are absolutely treated differently than everyone else. They are regarded in extremes - when they do well, they are treated in a way that is above the general public but when they do something that is 'wrong' or 'immoral' they are judged more harshly. They do not live in a world of middle ground. When we listen to the news reports and buy into the celebrity, we contribute to this weird state of being.

Do you honestly believe that they behave so differently than the rest of the population? They aren't the only ones who abuse drugs, have illegitimate children and affairs or fiddle with the accounting books. Nobody is watching us like vultures circling to expose the worst in us though, are they?

We gave them the free pass...remember, bad publicity is better than no publicity. :(
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:31 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I dont tell my kids anything about it because the smaller ones never watch the news and dont care. My older kids are not really interested in gossip from tabloid news, and really thats all these stories are. It doesnt matter if it is a cable news program running the story or the national enquirer. It is all trash news for slow news days.

Answer by gemgem at 9:02 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I don't know that anyone gets a free pass. Clearly some think that this behavior is okay, but I believe that has more to do with a lack of character than just 'being celebrity'. We all live with the consequences of our actions, regardless of how society views us. Some people might give celebrities a free pass, but that doesn't mean that they don't have to go home to the mess that they have created and try to work through it.

In our world of instant media, it's virtually impossible for some people to take a walk or to buy gas without someone from TMZ filming the whole thing while asking stupid questions. They are just people that do the same stuff we do every day and sometimes they make bad decisions and get caught, just like the rest of the population that isn't under the public microscope.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:28 AM on May. 18, 2011

• It's called LIFE. You really mean you have never had a family member or friend with an "issue" of some type? They are no different from anyone else.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:31 AM on May. 18, 2011

• eg. if my son was older and asking about Arnold - it'd be an easy lesson on how infidelity can come at a high price. Here is a man that had everything and yet he tossed it all away because he decided his penis meant more than his wedding vows. ;) (I would not be quite that crass in explaining it to my child, of course.) We'd talk about how our actions and choices impact not just us, but of many other people including our family and friends. We would talk about how Arnold not only destroyed his marriage, but also his relationship with his children and that no matter what decision we're making, we should use his bad choice as a reminder that we can't just make knee-jerk choices. We need to step back and measure how this choice ripples throughout the rest of our lives. Is it a risk? Is it a risk worth taking? Tarnished stars are good fodder for talks on drugs, promiscuity, etc.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:33 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It's a shame when kids are raised to think these things are ok, are normal. Sure, shit happens. Some shit doesn't have to happen. Some shit is preventable, some shit hurts. Some shit that happens is purely selfish. And in some instances to say 'well, shit happens' is heartless.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:07 PM on May. 18, 2011