Did you buy your teenager a class ring before junior year of high school?

I guess this is the trend now, but my daughter's class buys their high school class ring at the end of the sophomore year. This is a considerable cost of around $230 that we cannot afford right now. Is it wrong for me to postpone this till next year when most of her friends are getting them now? Any advice?

Frankie64

Asked by Frankie64 at 8:23 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I can remember my mother doing payment arrangements on mine when I was in HS. They may or may not do this anymore tho
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I am a senior in high school and I dont even have one as a senior because I think it is no big deal. There are sophmores and juniors who have class rings early but I honestly think it is stupid because of how many of them switch schools, gain or lose wieght, or change thier mind about what they want before senior year and then dont wear them. Younger kids also tend to "gift" them to thier boyfriend or girlfriend to wear on a necklace and I think that is too expensive an object for someone who is irresponsible enough to do that with it. Then again, some seniors do that too....up to you I suppose.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:31 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My son got his during his Junior year. The company came to the school in fact and set it up. You can set up payments on the dates they come to the school, unless you choose to go through another company. $230 is pretty cheap. How did you get off so easy? My sons was twice that and is pretty plain lol.

Answer by gemgem at 8:37 AM on May. 18, 2011

• go to walmart or fingerhut.com both of them should be cheaper than that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Only thing with walmart is the engraving sucks. The take a long long time to get to you as well. I also have to disagree with the pp class rings are an important rite of passage. Maybe it is not to someone who is already a teen mom, but for those into the whole high school experience it is important.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I Don't see anything wrong with waiting til you can afford it.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 10:35 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My son also got his this year as a sophmore I was kind of surprised it was so early. I know I had the option of payments as well, but chose to pay it off. I have to agree with gemgem, that is a pretty good price my son's was also about double that.
    I also think its okay to wait, your daughter should be able to understand that its not something in the budget right now.
    I had to give my son a choice his class ring or his letterman's jacket and he decided he'd rather have the ring. I still don't know that I'm going to get the jacket for him at any point during his time in HS.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:46 AM on May. 18, 2011

• $230 is a pretty good price, but if you have to wait til you can afford it, no biggie. Just contact the company that is selling in your school and work something out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:54 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I never got one. My parents refused to buy me one and I didn't get a job until after I graduated and at that point I thought there was really no point to it.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 4:01 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think I got mine at the end of my freshman year. What about buying one somwhere else that's cheaper?
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:27 PM on May. 18, 2011