What age/ grade is it appropriate to start wearing makeup in?

My daughter is a week away from finishing 6th grade and she came home from school with eyeliner smeared under her eye. Now at her age I did wear makeup, but I dont want her to start wearing it until 9th grade. Am I being unrealistic?

alboston

Asked by alboston at 8:53 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I think lipgloss and a bit of mascara would be okay for 7th grade, I experimented with make up when I was your daughter's age! I think that full makeup should wait untl about 16, and only after she learns how to take care of her skin! Good luck momma, welcome to teenagers,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:58 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I think it should be held off as long as possible, i think too many girls are taught they need to wear it to feel pretty, I' d focus on cute hair, some gloss and pretty earrings, I wasn't allowed until 15 then taught the proper way, little girls wearing make-up are growing up too quickly. Next will be inappropriate clothes, they grow too fast!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:35 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I dont think its realistic. I know we dont want them too, but she will still do it when you arent looking. What I did with mine was take her to someone to show her how to do her makeup without looking bad or trashy. In 6th grade mine could only wear eye liner and lipgloss. As she got older we added more things, but she knew what she could and couldnt wear.

Answer by gemgem at 8:54 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I didn't until 16 and neither of my girls will until that age as well. lip gloss doesn't count in this house
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:56 AM on May. 18, 2011

• No, mine started wearing it at 15

Answer by older at 8:58 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I started to wear it at 13 but I was only allowed to wear mascara eye shadow lip gloss and liner.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:04 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I didn't start wearing it until this year and I don't wear it all the time and I am 24yrs old. But when my daughter is 16 then yea she can start with the basics.
    rowej

Answer by rowej at 9:08 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I was allowed at 15, so will my daughter.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 9:40 AM on May. 18, 2011

• 7th grade was the beginning of basic makeup when I was a girl. I didn't wear eyeliner, though, just powder, a little blush, and lipgloss.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:04 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I let my daughter wear lip gloss, she is in the 7th grade, she tried to sneak to school with eyeshadow on, but i stop that . She gets her nails done and that's enough. 16 or 17 is age appropriate for me
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 10:24 AM on May. 18, 2011