Braces on a 8 year old girl

ok so when my step daughter( i care for her full time) was 7 we found out one of her jaw was growing after than the other and that she had badly over cowed teeth that were very squint making it hard for her to bite with her front teeth the dentist said we need to see an orthostasis about her and my step son .my step son 10 and no as bad

so the orthodontist has said that my step daughter will need braces in July but they need to pull teeth out to get her ready so a few months ago they pulled out 6 teeth it was ment to be 9 but 3 feel out a few week before the opp  . when they did x ray they found back mollers growing in wrong ways and a few other problems . so normally they wont do braces in the uk to 10 but my step daughter needs them now . so she turned 8 a few weeks ago so today someone said about her needing a draces toothbrush it hit me i don't know how to care for braces  or what she need

i know they will most likely explain it all to me in July before they get fitted but can only tell me what you need in our House to care daily for braces ?

will it hurt ? no i don't know what type she will get yet

what can she eat after there fitted ?

and please don't tell me to leave it to her bio mother because she not about i am the mum

this is just before she had her teeth pulled out

this is just after it was a few months ago i may try to get a photo of her teeth tonight

ok here xray was kinda like this is not her real xray but it what it looked like on the computer screen

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I got braces at 8. I was actually growing 2 sets of permanant teeth! I had teeth growing from the roof of my mouth, behind other teeth, etc. They pulled 10 teeth out of my mouth and put braces on me until I turned 14. Here is my advice. Yes, it will be painful. You will want to make her soft foods for a bit and give her warm fluids. No gum, no hard chips, and corn on the cob is out of the question, lol (I busted bracketts off because I didn't listen. (Cont)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:43 AM on May. 18, 2011

• (Cont) make sure she brushes after meals and brushes well. They will give you things to help her floss and a brush that will get under the wires and between the bracketts. Because I was so little I didn't understand the importance of brushing well and now have random white spots of a few teeth. They have faded with teeth whitening, etc, but I can still see them. The dentist will talk to you and her when it comes time to put them on. I wish you and her lots of luck! She will have beautiful teeth when it is over :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:46 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Also, they will give you wax. Use it! it works wonders. Places that are poking at her and causing pain on her lips, cheeks, etc. the pokes can cause sores and the wax protects from that.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:01 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Poor thing. I haven't had to deal with braces yet. I hope she doesn't have any trouble adjusting. That is very young to have to go through something like that. Good luck!!!
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 9:38 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My daughter got braces when she was 8 as well and didn't have any trouble adjusting and really didn't complain of pain too much. She needed wax occasionally and it's a good idea to have her put some in her back pack so she can have it at school. My daughter also liked to have a little brace cleaner thing with her to make sure she didn't have any food stuck in her braces. Have her brush very often and also use a mouth rinse to help flush things out. We also got my daughter an electric tooth brush and this helped her to brush more thoroughly.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 10:26 AM on May. 18, 2011

• they will explain all of that at her appointment to make sure you get it correct they will nag you at every appointment after that as well. just make sure all of her baby teeth are gone before braces so she isn't in them "forever" because new teeth keep coming in
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on May. 18, 2011

• we cant wate till all her baby teeth are out as her probs are to bad i added an xray to show you ,

and AGAIN the bio mother is not about or in the kids lifes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:17 AM on May. 18, 2011

• yeah i worry about her being young to but if we don't she gona end up with big probs when she old and i'm not talking cosmetic poor girl seams to have loads of probs

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:42 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I remember friends with braces always using a water pik, along with an electric toothe brush. I tried it once, it was awesome! The water shoots out stuff from cracks and all over, it was neat. I would wait to see what the dentist recommends.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:18 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I have had braces twice- 1x as a kid, the other as an adult. You can still use a regular toothbrush for brushing, and it is a good idea to get a proxi-brush (small pointed brush) to use to clean inbetween with. She might also be given a flouride rinse to use each day as well. And at some point she may have elastics, or headgear-- it is important to use them as directed (like if told to wear it overnight, put it on and wear it overnight). They may give you dental wax-- which can help to cover areas that are rubbing or making her cheek/lip sore. The Ortho usually instructs patients/parents on how to care for the braces. Her mouth will be sore, and it is best to go with soft, easy to eat foods for the first few days. You may also ask if it is ok to give pain meds to help with discomfort (for the 1st day or so). It is also a good idea for her to avoid sticky things like gum, caramel, tootsie rolls, taffy....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:17 AM on May. 18, 2011