White House denies Boston paper access at fundraiser....

because they put an op/ed piece by Mitt Romney on the front page. More transperancy (or lack of) or just sour grapes because they don't like what the paper did? I thought we had a free press here in the U.S.

Didn't they just do something similar to another paper? That might have been the one in CA that they called and asked for a sentence to be removed from the article because it made Michelle look "cold and aloof".

The White House Press Office has refused to give the Boston Herald full access to President Obama’s Boston fund-raiser today, in e-mails objecting to the newspaper’s front page placement of a Mitt Romney op-ed, saying pool reporters are chosen based on whether they cover the news “fairly.”

“I tend to consider the degree to which papers have demonstrated to covering the White House regularly and fairly in determining local pool reporters,” White House spokesman Matt Lehrich wrote in response to a Herald request for full access to the presidential visit.

“My point about the op-ed was not that you ran it but that it was the full front page, which excluded any coverage of the visit of a sitting US President to Boston. I think that raises a fair question about whether the paper is unbiased in its coverage of the President’s visits,” Lehrich wrote.

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1338789&position=1

And yes, I realize that they can pick and choose who to give interviews, etc to, but to deny access and say it was because they think the paper might be biased. That's a slipperly slope IMO

******UPDATE

I just heard on the news that Romney's op/ed that ran on the front page knocking Obama's visit off the front page was back in MARCH. Long time to hold a grudge.

DSamuels

Asked by DSamuels at 9:05 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I wish I could see the paper the day before, the day of and after the visit. Right now it sounds a bit like a temper tantrum.  I didn't get the front page now I am mad.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:17 AM on May. 18, 2011

• – collapse

who cares?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:18 AM on May. 18, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Violation of the 1st amendment to freedom of the press??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:22 AM on May. 18, 2011

• – collapse

Violation of the 1st amendment to freedom of the press??

really? wow..lol....the silliness is just TOO MUCH

Should EVERY SINGLE REPORTER have access to EVERY SINGLE EVENT??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:23 AM on May. 18, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Just another shining example of high class from the current administration.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:27 AM on May. 18, 2011

• SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:33 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Not surprised in the least.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Vindictive old coot isn't he? Obama answers questions he wants to answer and that's that. If he doesn't want to play he doesn't.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:41 AM on May. 18, 2011

• – collapse

Just another shining example of high class from the current administration.

lol..yes..the last admin was so different...LMAO...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:42 AM on May. 18, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Should EVERY SINGLE REPORTER have access to EVERY SINGLE EVENT??

_______

No of course not. But when you use the excuses above it kind of goes against that whole transparency thing.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:45 AM on May. 18, 2011