How young is to young for earrings?

MIL and I are in a debate about getting my 3 year old's ears pierced. I personally think that she is to young, I think we should wait till she is old enough to tell us she wants it herself... she thinks we should do it cause it is "cute" I don't think cute is a good enough reason. Hubby is neutral on it... what do you all think?

Mommy2Munchkin

Asked by Mommy2Munchkin at 9:09 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My girls had theirs done at around 6 weeks old. So, I dont think it is too young.

Answer by gemgem at 9:10 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I got my dds pierced when she was 9 weeks so 3 isnt too young. if she decides she doesnt want them when she's older, she just has to take out the earings!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:11 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My daughter got hers pierced at 6mths
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 9:12 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I got my oldest's done at 6 months and have yet to get my 2 year-olds done.. I don't think there is a correct age for it. Maybe wait until she is 6 so she can tell you if she wants them done or maybe 12 or something. I havent decided if i want to get my youngest daughter's done or wait for her to decide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree. It should wait until the child asks. It's a violation of the child's body to go shoving things into it.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 9:12 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Not a good idea to have them done with a toddler. She will likely play with the earings & infect her ears sevearl times.

Its best when they are born or when they are old enough to not play with their ears so 6ish.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:13 AM on May. 18, 2011

• She is YOUR daughter, if you think that 3 is to young, it's too young. Personally, I wouldn't do it til AT LEAST 6 or 7 and ONLY if the child wanted them. If she hasn't asked for them, and isn't old enough or able to properly care for both the ears and the jewelry, I don't think it's the right time yet.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:13 AM on May. 18, 2011

• idk, but I got my daughter ears pierced when she was 3 months old. I was 3 months old as well when my ears were pierced. I think it's good to have it done early, that way they wont grabe on or mess with it and it will give it time to heal.
    rowej

Answer by rowej at 9:14 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Your child, your decision. Your MIL gets no say on how you raise your child.

Personally, I think 3 is a bad age. Either when they are young and can't mess with the earrings, or older so that they know not to. My kid of that age would end up pulling them out.

I had to wait until I was about 9, and will do that for my daughter.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:15 AM on May. 18, 2011

• anything younger than 6 weeks is too young. where i come from we get our girls ears pierced right after their 1st well baby appt.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 9:16 AM on May. 18, 2011