Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I take my kids to another doctor even if their insurance has another one listed for them?

Both my kids are on medicaid/CHIP and have a doctor listed on their insurance cards I found no longer does clinical visits as she has moved her practice to the hospital nearby. My daughter needs to see a doctor asap however to get a evulation for the end of the school year. Can I call and make an appointment with another doctor (that accepts medicaid/CHIP of course)? Will they accept her a new patient? And will her insurance still pay for it even if its the doctor not listed in their records? I will call to change the doctor, it would just take 2 weeks for the systems to be updated and I really cannot wait that long.

Answer Question

Asked by Kattxbrat at 9:38 AM on May. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 3 (19 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • as long as they accept medicaid, then yes.

    Call medicaid & let them know she no longer has an office.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 9:40 AM on May. 18, 2011

  • You really NEED to call your insurance company and ask them this. No one here knows what the specifics of YOUR plan is.


    Answer by Crafty26 at 9:41 AM on May. 18, 2011

  • I think I remember that when you called you can usually go that same day. Do you have a children's urgent care center? We have Cooks Urgent Care here in TX . I would take her there.

    Answer by Momforhealth at 9:41 AM on May. 18, 2011

  • My kids have state medicaid and we can see another doctor other than the one listed on the card if it is urgent care or at the Health department. I can change my kids primary at any time though. All I have to do is make a phone call or I can change it online as well. Once it is changed int eh computer I can start seeing the new primary that day but a new card will be issued. Just give them a call to double check how it works where you are. I would guess it is some what similar.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 AM on May. 18, 2011

  • just call and change their pcd

    Answer by MADUKES402 at 11:54 AM on May. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.