If you got pregnant while still in your teens, but of legal age...

like 18 or 19, depending on legal age where you age, do you/did you consider yourself a teen parent?

I got pregnant at 18 and had my son at 19 (legal age here is 18) and I definitely didn't feel like a teenage mother. I was already out living with my son's dad when I found out I was pregnant, and I'd graduated high school nearly a year before. I like to think I felt a lot more "ready" for it than any girls I know who got pregnant at 15/16/17.

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 9:48 AM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, I was 19, but I was way more 'ready' than my 14 year old sister. I was married and had my own place, we both had jobs with insurance, etc.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:32 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm asking how people felt in particular, not what's okay.
    I know a lot of good moms who started before I did. I'm just curious if anyone else is like me, and didn't feel like a teenage more even with the "teen" in their age still.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I was pregnant at 17 and had my first son at 18, I gave him up for adoption due to pressure from my parents. I felt then I was ready for a child. I had my second child just 2 years later, I was 20 when he was born. I never considered myself a teen mother (maybe because when I raised my second child I was 20). I moved out on my own and I did just fine, I don't think I was ever really scared about being a mother or not being ready. It's the only thing I've ever really wanted or desired since I was a very little girl.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:07 AM on May. 18, 2011

• there is no "legal age: to get pregnant....lmao But I had my son at 17 ( which is a legal adult in Missouri) and I was a teen mother, and now I am a wonderful mother of 5!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:46 PM on May. 18, 2011

• By "legal age" I mean legal for drinking/gambling/etc... ha ha.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I had my first just before turning 18, I was okay with it because I love babies and all I ever wanted to do was be a mom. Being a parent has to do with maturity and the ability to realize it's not just you anymore and the baby is supposed to come first.... I have seen teen moms who were great and some were just plain annoyed at the fact that the newness of having a baby wore off and they are seeing the full picture and are feeling the stress of being a parent.
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 5:14 PM on May. 19, 2011