Question about Christmas presents......

How much do you typically get a child?
last year my son , who was 1 at the time, got a REDICULOUS amout of stuff. NO KIDDING probally 20 outfits and 50 good size toys if not more! took us over 3 hours to open HIS STUFF... and this year itss getting to be about the same. Does anyone elce do this ? Or does any one think that this is spoiling him too much?
I think its okay but his father says it is just spoiling the kid. What should I do?

ReadyToRage

Asked by ReadyToRage at 8:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 50 toys??? lol that's a lot. are they just from you guys? or is that extended fam included. I dunno, if you can afford it then go at it. But for me, that's a bit much. My son got MAYBE 6 or 7 toys, and that was from us and his grandparents combined.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 8:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i think its ok becouse u are only going to have this christmas when he is 2 and your never going to have that day again so give him all the gifes in the world lolololo
    LisaAnnPonce

Answer by LisaAnnPonce at 8:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• that was from me.. hisdad and my sister. He got more stuff from his other family after
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 8:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Well to actually answer your question .. he's 2 so right now he most likely doesn't get the whole xmas/gift concept. I dunno, I'd say, if you can do it then do it. Me personally I'd definitely tone it down as he gets older. Make sure you teach him the quality of appreciation and bring him up not to be a selfish individual. You don't want a snotty teenager demanding this and that every xmas, lol.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 8:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• JMO that is too much when we can afford to go big each kid gets 3 gifts from us 7 from santa and then about 7 to 8 from each set of grandparents. as they are getting older and the stuff they want costs more we have started the routine where they get one big thing from us, 3 to 4 from santa and then whatever they get from the rest of the family. it also gaurantees that i have to hassle them less about keeping their room clean when it is not wall to wall stuff, or that i do not always have to clean it and organize everything.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I told ALL our families not to buy him anything - to give money for his savings account - his birthday was nov 8th and that's what I Told them to do for that and told them the same for christmas - they are too little and right now it doesn't matter to them at all!! they should just give you $$ so you can start a savings for him
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• *giggles* That's a lot of stuff especially for a baby. I have 3 kids. I always did around 7-10 items a piece. Put a money limit on yourself. We did $200.00 limits per kid. Give or take 5 - 10 Dollars. But stop when you hit your limit. Your Christmas shopping is done and everyone will be more content.
    Have a Merry Christmas. :)
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 12:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2008