What Do Moms of Special Needs Children Feel About Vaccines Potentially Causing Autism

This is a highly debateable topic within the autism community. I believe all possible theories should continued to be studied and tested until an evidence based link has been discovered. Babies do receive many vaccines at birth and the human body is an extremely complex system that we may never fully understand. It makes sense to continue tests to see if there is a link between autism and vaccines. Completely dismissing the notion may lead to a breakthrough not being discovered. Autism is affecting more and more kids these days than ever before. Early Intervention techniques such as Applied Behavior Analysis therapy have positive impacts on children with autism, but that does not mean we should stop all research on whether vaccines contribute to the cause. This testing may take years to get accurate results, but there is enough results to continue to research the correlation. The government will most likely continue to vary their stance as this is an issue that will most likely continue to have new developments arising frequently. What do the special needs mothers think on this topic?

achievebeyond

Asked by achievebeyond at 9:52 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Weird - I've never heard of this before.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:54 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm not a special needs mother, but I do have an adopted brother with autism. He was injected with prescription drugs as an infant and this is the cause of the problems he has now. You can't tell me that it isn't possible for vaccines to be linked with autism and the like.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:57 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I have a 13 yo with autism and I just don't know. For my 4 younger children I have delayed and selectively vaccinated, getting separate vaccines whenever possible instead of the combined. Whether it causes autism or not, I just think it's a huge amount of foreign matter to be injecting into such small little babies.
    If there is a link between the two, I doubt that it is just one vaccine but I think there may be something about the combination of so many at such a young age in some children that are more sensitive to them or have some type of genetic predisposition.

Answer by missanc at 9:58 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My DS has HFA while my DD is nero typical. I do not believe vaccines are the cause but I do believe they should continue to search that route as long as anyone has question. IMO I feel it is genetic. I could agree to the theory that while it is genetic there could be an environmental trigger for it.... There is research pointing toward genetics while others continue to go the route of vaccines. I guess I just don't know and won't fully believe or dismiss anything until they are done. there are to many contradictory studies right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 18, 2011

• 83 percent of brain injury vaccine compensation payouts were for autism.

Now, I do not believe that ALL Autism cases are because of vaccines. Nor do I believe that ALL Autism diagnosis are in fact Autism. Tests have shown that a great deal are heavy mettal poisoning - which has nearly the same symptoms. And Autism was NEVER a factr when it came to deciding whether or not to vaccinate my children, which we do not do. But the connection is clear, even if the CDC doesn't want to admit to it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:07 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I have two special needs children, one who is autistic and I believe that the theory vaccines caused it is 110% hogwash. I have done my homework on the subject. My sn is 17 yrs old and two of my friends are also raising autistic children. I got my psych degree to learn more about my sons, and my friends studying to be a special ed teacher. Here are some links discrediting the theory:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05/autism.vaccines/index.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/01/06/132703314/study-linking-childhood-vaccine-and-autism-was-fraudulent

Answer by gemgem at 10:10 AM on May. 18, 2011

• If it were strictly caused by vaccines there would be a greater amount of people with autism. Myself included because vaccines were the loving thing to do when I was a child. ALL four of my kids would be autistic not just my boys. There ** could ** be a link, but as a sole cause.....nope. Just like not every child will have the severe reaction to a vaccine and die, not every child who receives it is autistic. There is something more to it. It has to be a combination of things. Besides what do you think the "breakthrough" will be?? A medication?? A vaccine?? Yeah and probably expensive too. Then again autism in itself is expensive. Therapy does not come cheap.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:12 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My son has Autism and NO I do NOT belive it was caused by vaccines.

Also--- there are plenty of children that have autism and have NEVER had any vaccines...... think about that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Anon, there are plenty of babies who have died of SIDS who were not placed on their tummy to sleep. Autism is not a one diagnosis fits all. Autism is based on a range of symptoms. Many of those symptoms are the same for children who have had brain injuries. I took care of a gentleman who seemed very autistic. Same behaviors, and symptoms... however his brain injury was do to a tragic accident as a child. Autism could be caused by many things, not just one thing.

OP, I still just don't understand why we cannot do a comparative study of children (from same cultural group). Vaccination vrs unvax, to see what the difference is.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:15 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I know many families with autistic children and not one thinks it was vaccines. The rise is the number of children diagnosed with autism could simply be a result of better diagnostic capabilities, not an actual rise in autism.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 5:51 PM on May. 18, 2011