Running question???

I have just recently started running. Trying to start off light and then gradually increase. It is really hard for me. I am just using my regular tennis shoes. Will a good pair of running shoes really help? I don't want to spend that much money if it's not going to make a big difference.

RelaxedMom2-3

Asked by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:13 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes good running shoes are very important, you'll realize in a couple weeks :) I have NewBalance running shoes
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:14 AM on May. 18, 2011

• they do make a difference...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:15 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm having the same problem. I can't justify buying $200 shoes because I have yet to EVER stick with anything but I am very much struggling right now
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:17 AM on May. 18, 2011

• O'yea get you some nice running shoes, they don't have to be exspensive. I have a pair of nike shocks and they were $113 but I also have a pair of oasis from wal- mart and they were $27 and some change, and my oasis are better than my nike's. compare, save, and get you some good running shoes and go running. Also if you have bad running shoes it can cause back, legs, and knee pain. I had the knee pain problem and my doctor ask me about my shoes and told me I need better shoes.
    rowej

Answer by rowej at 10:21 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Good running shoes don't always have to cost a fortune. You need a light shoe with good support. Also be carefull with the running, it's extremely hard on the joints.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:22 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Running stores are your BEST option for finding a shoe made FOR your foot. Everyone runs differently. Some people over pronate, some under pronate, and well others are neutral runners- like me. It is essential that you don't just grab a shoe and assume it will work for you. A running store will check your gait, how you stand, will have you try on several neutral shoes, watch you run, video you run and then play it back in slowmo for you and them to watch. Then, they will give you many different options. If it is a good store, they will have you try on one of each brand and have you run in the 2 different brands and whittle it down to the ones you prefer. You can also ask for last year's models and they are cheaper.
    I will also recommend running socks- they will make a difference! I promise. I'm a runner and I am currently running in Brooks Ghost 3s. I love them. I switch every 6 months since I put a lot of miles on them.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:26 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Oh yes, good running shoes are key. For me personally, I can't run in Nikes. I have to wear light-weight shoes. My last pair I got were the Tubes by K-Swiss. I LOVE them. Just do your research on good running shoes and you will just have to try and see what works best for you.

I get a lot of my shoes from Zappos.com. They have awesome customer service and free returns if the shoes don't work out for you. ;o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 10:25 AM on May. 18, 2011

• good running shoes DO make a difference.. that said they don't have to cost $200 either.. You need a good shoe that gives you support in your feet.. some comfort (you don't want something like a tennis shoe with no cushion or your feet will end up soooo sore) . You can get a decent pair at walmart without spending a fortune :) (and when all set and done, if you decide jogging is not for you, you can use them for any other outdoor sport as well because they are just sneakers :))
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:42 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I 2nd and 3rd everything mcginnisc said...There are SO many options...it's good to go where people understand and can help you narrow it down. Once you find your perfect running pair, you can check online for deals. I found Adidas Supernova sequence fit me great and I've had 4 pairs. They retail $100 but I found them online @ runningwarehouse on sale $50 with no tax free shipping, so once you know what works you can find a good deal. I'm planning on going to get refit b/c I've lost a lot of weight and inches since I started running and I want to have a couple different pairs to rotate.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 1:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I also agree with mcginnisc. You should check out a running store and have them measure you, watch you run, and recommend what's best for you. It makes ALL the difference. There is also a big barefoot movement that might be worth investigating.

Here's an article from Runner's World that talks some about this (also about form, but I found it interesting how barefoot running affects form).  I hope this helps!  It's long, be forewarned, but very interesting and informative.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:02 PM on May. 18, 2011