Do you feel that Dominique Strauss-Kahn is being treated fairly by the US?

Many French don't.

France's broadcasting watchdog—the Conseil Supérieur de l'Audiovisuel, or CSA—called on the country's television channels to use restraint in showing footage of Mr. Strauss-Kahn in handcuffs, reminding networks that French law prohibits them from airing images of people in handcuffs, or otherwise restrained, before they have been convicted by a court.

"We can't cover the DSK story like a French story for the simple reason it is happening in the U.S.," Mr. Ravanello said, referring to Mr. Strauss-Kahn by his widely used initials. "The images we saw are brutal indeed, but that's because of the nature of the U.S. judiciary."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't seen anything brutal in nature having to do with the handling of this man.  I presume he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.  I can even acknowledge that there are many possibilities to this story that do not shine him in a criminal light.  Does this make anyone long for a media that has such restrictions as to what images they can show and how they can report a story? 

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:17 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think he gets the same 'innocent until proven guilty' as the rest of us get. Why do the terrorist get this privilege but this man doesn't? I have no judgment to offer. I don't know enough about the case to give an opinion other than - it is the responsibility of the prosecutor to prove this man guilty. It is not the responsibility of this man to prove he is innocent.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:17 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Boo hoo for them. He doesn't deserve any special treatment. When I first heard it I figured he would have diplomatic immunity or something. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:28 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Who cares what the French think? Not me.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:33 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Saw a story on this last night. If French people don't want their delicate sensibilities subjected to the laws of other countries, they should keep their criminals at home.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Boo Hoo. The French should be thankful the brutal US made sure they are French instead of German.

While I justice system isn't perfect..no system is...I do trust it. I trust the judge had very good reasons to hold him without bail. I can't help but wonder why he is on suicide watch.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:22 PM on May. 18, 2011

• When in Rome.... :o)

Anyone else find it shocking that the French would "turn tail and run" from controversy?! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• He's accused of sexual assault. I would want him to be treated the same as any other alleged rapist, which is what we're doing.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:19 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Well, we are used to such "perp walks" as they are called over here in the US. But French culture is different. Oh, so very different! I'm really no fan of the French, I mean, I loves me some champagne, OK? But that's about it. I had WWII vets in my family, my mom's a Brit, and I have been to France many times. Glad I live here. Did you know, they also don't support BF? anyway, back on topic, we aren't being brutal, and they can suck it. They kept Roman Polanski from the US for 30 years, so I personally don't feel that they have a handle on the ideas of justice over there.

and this has only been illegal in France since 2000 so they should get over it.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:31 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm thinking there is much more to this plot and we are fed only the info. the powers that be, wish to feed us...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'd get rid of the suicide watch and let him save our courts time -- and the tax payers a bunch of money.

Can't - he's too high profile. Head of the IMF kills himself on your watch, you're getting investigated 8 ways to Sunday internationally.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:52 PM on May. 18, 2011