Iron deficiency?

i think ive figured out this is why i'm so fatigued all the time. even after a good night's rest i start to get sleepy around 10am, and i've been doing my best to eat a healthy breakfast, drink lots of water, etc. yesterday when i went grocery shopping around 3pm my eyes were so heavy and watery, i almost left the store because i wasn't sure if i'd be able to concentrate. about halfway through though i seemed to perk up. anyway, this morning as i was putting on my make up, and feeling heavy-eyed already, i noticed slight yellowing of the white part of the eyes. nothing drastic, my dad has yellowing of the eyes and his is really bad. mine is just a little bit in the corners. but i know it's the start so i need to boost it somehow. any tips on an iron rich diet? i already know green leafy veggies and red meat, however we don't eat a lot of red meat. 1-2 times a week at most. i also took a flinestones vitamin this morning.. LOL

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:26 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Health

• Cook in a cast iron pan. Also, up your intake of vitamin c with something iron-rich, it help is absorb.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:29 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I have always had issues with low iron. I suggest you see your doctor and have them do a blood draw to check your iron levels. If you do have a low iron count they can put you on iron suppliments and that will help.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:30 AM on May. 18, 2011

• i have lived with it my whole life...i take a suppliment called Sloe Fe, it takes a few days to kick in but it works really good and is easy on the stomach
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:49 AM on May. 18, 2011

• cereals like mini wheats in the morning help me because they are higher in iron.. I also take iron supplements too. (you can get them otc) also be sure they tested for vitamin b12 deficiency too. if you are deficient in b 12 it will decrease your iron and result in low immune system, and the yellowing of the eyes is more than iron deficiency.. which is why the b12 should really be checked as well.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:03 AM on May. 18, 2011

• i was always anemic during my pregnancies but the levels always returned to normal after giving birth. my youngest is 16 months now and up until this month i've been feeling fine. i've gone through a lot of lifestyle changes this month though - quitting smoking, added emotional stress to what was already a high number - so maybe that had some effect on how my body handled things? idk. it might not even be an iron deficiency but i figured the fatigue and yellowing of the eyes were symptoms of that.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on May. 18, 2011