S/O Welfare

Should our welfare system offer incentive programs for those who wish to get out of the system. The way our system is set up now, it's nearly impossible to ever move forward without some drastic change. For those who have a job and need FS, the idea of a raise is scary... As soon as you earn enough to pay your bills each month, they cut your stamps, and then you don't have the money to pay your bills again... So it turns in to a cycle... Because you can get more help the less you do for yourself.

Personally I feel we should have "incentive" programs for people who are working to get out! Maybe 6 months after a raise before your FS are cut so that you can get to that next step and work your way out of the system... Or offer evening state funded childcare for those who are in night school so they can work too...

The way the system is set up now it's nearly impossible to get out unless you win the lottery or make a drastic life change - like work in a whole new industry... Some people can do it, but for most once they make enough to support themselves with help, they loose the help.

So should we be offering programs for those who want out? Shouldn't we be encouraging people to get out of the system instead of trying to trap them there?

Thoughts? What could be changed? What should be changed? Or should be simply leave things the way they are?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't think it can be left the way it is. I am one that thinks it wouldn't be available much longer without some very bad repercussions.   What to do about it?  I have no idea.  I wish I had the solution, but I don't.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:55 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I don't think anyone should be offered incentives to be a productive person and support themselves. A lot people do that already and they aren't rewarded for it. I think people on welfare should be offered job training, or daycare assistance so they are able to get a job, but I think there should definitely be a time limit a person is allowed to stay on welfare.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 11:02 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree with MomMom23. A lot of middle class people do it every day and survive with no help at all from the government - when times get hard, we work harder to get what we need.
    There needs to be a major overhaul of the welfare system, but I don't see it happening. It will take too much time and money to do it.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:19 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I think people on welfare should be offered job training, or daycare assistance so they are able to get a job...

But these were the kind of "incentives" I'm talking about. Offering Daycare in the evenings so working parents can go to school and get something better. As it sits now if you are making enough to pay for school you are making to much to qualify for childcare help. We aren't on Welfare at this point, but we would qualify I'm sure. My DH makes about $400 a week before taxes, I make between $50 and $100 a week working from home. When my DH got this job we thought it would be awesome because he was making $10 an hour - which is more than we've ever made before, then we found out that because of that we didn't qualify for childcare. So now I have to stay home because I didn't make enough to pay daycare for 3 kids.

cont.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:35 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I would LOVE to be working out side the home, or finishing my degree so I can do something better and actually be able to afford to pay the bills. But I can't. We have 6 people in this home and simply not enough money to pay for food and clothing. It sounds simple to just "go back to work" and "make more money" but I was earning about $300 a week working 40+ hours, and that was to much for us to qualify for ANYTHING, but daycare is $20 per day, per child, and I had to pay someone to pick them up and watch them til I got home... So it cost us more than I made... So, now I have to be home full time. And we can't afford shoes or underwear...

I guess what I'm saying is there should be a program out there to help people get ahead. My DH and I were on our own long before we were ever able to do "school" and we've both worked since we were kids - literally. But we simply can't get out, and I don't want this for my kids...

cont.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:44 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I believe our welfare system should be to HELP people better themselves and their families - NOT to simply support them forever because they are to lazy to work. So we should be working WITH people to get them training, get them better jobs, and get them OUT of the system. Not just handing them some cash or food stamps and leaving it up to them... If they could do it alone, they wouldn't be on welfare...

It should be a "leg up" not a "hand out."
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree it should be a leg up, not a hand out. However, the majority of people on welfare don't see it that way, and I know because I see a lot of these people in my line of work, and I personally know people that would rather stay home, not because they have to, but because they want to. My sister is one of these people. Her children are both in school, her live in boyfriend works and she receives section 8 and food stamps. I'm absolutely disgusted with her, and people like her.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:18 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I completely understand. My SIL is like that too. She is an addict and so is her SO. They both get welfare insurance which pays for their meds 100%, then they turn around and sell them - making about $4000 a month on their meds. Then they get FS and Cash... And they get angry at us because we won't live that way!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I completely agree with you and wish there was a way to revamp the whole system.
    But it's highly unlikely.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 12:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• A lot would be helped if you would of not had 3 kids and instead went to school when you were younger.

I hate when people use their children as an excuse to be poor. You shouldn't of had children you couldn't afford.
    Anonymous