Were you never stressed during your pregnancy(ies)?

im curious, ive seen so many people on here warn women how bad it is for the unborn baby if the mother is stressed. i realize your body releases hormones when stressed and there is a likelihood the baby gets the effects of this hormone, however you can't always ensure you stay stress free. if there was any truth to the way it effects a baby, i'd have some seriously screwed up kids. i have 3 children and had high stress levels throughout each of their pregnancies, i mean it was ridiculous how stressed i was. i even had anxiety attacks during my 3rd pregnancy almost daily. yet i birthed 3 healthy daughters. i just don't get where people come up with the correllation, and some go as far to say that emotional stress can cause miscarriages? again, if that were true i wouldn't have any children!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:49 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am so sorry about the stress you had during your pregnacies, and I am so happy you had healthy and beautiful babys.
    rowej

Answer by rowej at 11:16 AM on May. 18, 2011

• there's an old wives tale that relaxed moms give birth to relaxed babies and stressed moms give birth to restless babies. and do believe this is 100% true. i was relaxed and chill about the entire thing and got a baby that NEVER cries and sleeps through the night. my sister's SIL had her daughter about 2 months after i had mine and she was one of those women who worried about every little thing, she ended up with a baby that cries constantly
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:55 AM on May. 18, 2011

• was more stresed with my dd than my ds but that's because i was working when i was pregnant with her, but it was never a huge stress level or anything, for the most part i was pretty chill
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:57 AM on May. 18, 2011

• obviously nothing ALWAYS happens 100% of the time. but medical/scientific studies show it can have effects on the baby. its not all just physical development either. there's also a difference between every day stress and extreme life even stress (like losing family, abusive relationship emotionally). Here's one of many articles. This is some of what I've learned about in college as well. Also, I've known of people who've miscarried enduring a lot of stress during pregnancy

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081027140724.htm
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 10:58 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Well everyone is not the same, so our body's takes things differently as well as our pregnancys. There are crack mothers who birth perfectly healthy babys and then there are some who birth crack addicted babys, then the other babys don't even have a surviving chance because of the crack shuts there little brains down or put too much strain on their precious hearts. So even if stress didn't do anything to your babys who is to say that it wont harm someone else's baby while being pregnant. In other words better safe than sorry, and if you can avoid stress its best to do so, who wants to be stress when they can avoid it?
    rowej

Answer by rowej at 11:01 AM on May. 18, 2011

• yes, it was extreme life stress i dealt with during all 3. so if i was going to have a restless baby chances are it would've happened with one of them. my oldest did have colic, but my younger two were sleeping through the night at 3 months, and all of them were relaxed babies.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on May. 18, 2011

• In other words better safe than sorry, and if you can avoid stress its best to do so, who wants to be stress when they can avoid it?

you cannot avoid all stressors, this is my point.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:05 AM on May. 18, 2011

• But yes i was stress with my ds and didn't care much with dd, so less stress. But this 32yr old back 2003 had an heart attack while she was pregnant because her stress was up and her and baby didn't make it. NOW NOT TO SAY THAT WILL HAPPEN TO ANYONE, she had just had an arguement with her dh.
    rowej

Answer by rowej at 11:06 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I did. Our 3 year old Dog passes away in a 2 week period while i was 5 months pregnant which was horrible. My cat got stuck in our ducts while painting for the babies room -i was sick for the first 6 months then got Gestational Diabetes at 6 months... then normal hormones, I felt it could have made the difference. He was colic for 6 months and fussy all day til well after a year. He has food allergies, constipation issues, sinus infections one after another - regular allergies - some of this is obviously genetics but it was a rough 2 years and I always wonder if it was stress/sick while pregnant or maybe the gestational diabetes - my Dr mentioned once after I had him that he has yet to see a person with G.D have a compeletly healthy baby.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:09 AM on May. 18, 2011

• trust me, i didnt ask for all that stress nor did i want to carry it around with me especially while i was pregnant. and of course its better to be relaxed, pregnant or not. however i don't think its right to tell women that stress will affect their baby, when clearly it's not always true. it wasn't for me anyway, all 3 times.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on May. 18, 2011