How much weight did you lose in the delivery room?

This is mostly because I'm curious due to a statement a friend made this morning. I'm ten weeks pregnant, and my midwife said that because I'm already over what my bmi should be for my size, that she would like me to try not to gain more than 15 to 20 pounds during this pregnancy. I told my friend this, and she proceeds to tell me that it's okay to gain up to 30 lbs. because I'll lose between 20 and 30 lbs. in the delivery room. Now, this isn't my first child. And I know I didn't lose 20 pounds instantly after giving birth, let alone 30 pounds. In doing research of my own, the most weight lost I could find was 12 pounds. I guess I'm just curious to see if anyone here has actually lost that much, or if this is another one of my friend's outlandish facts. (she spouts some pretty silly facts sometimes that she doesn't research, so in the end, they usually just make her look silly, and like she's very obviously being a know it all.) Either way, I'm certainly not taking her advice. I happen to believe that my midwife's goal is perfectly attainable.

Eviesmommy

Asked by Eviesmommy at 10:53 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I know I didn't lose that much weight after giving birth. There is a picture of me waiting to leave the hospital after giving birth and mom was like "wow you don't look very good." She thought I was still pregnant because my stomach had not gone down.

LOL, I would think between 8 - 12 lbs is normal depending on the size of the baby! I wish I lost 30 lbs after giving birth!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:58 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Well my kid was about 8 pounds. Then there's the placenta and fluid... but I would say no more than 10 pounds.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:55 AM on May. 18, 2011

• (this isn't me). average is an 8 lb baby. 2 lbs of fluid and a 2 lb placenta....that's 12 lbs
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:57 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My first baby was 8lbs 4 oz and I lost almost exactly 40 lbs when I had her. 2nd baby I lost 32 lbs, 3rd baby I lost 31 lbs, 4th baby I lost 30 lbs (came out weighing less then when I got pregnant), and baby #5 lost 31 lbs and again thinner then I was before I got pregnant. I only gained 23 lbs and 21 lbs with babies 4 & 5.

Answer by gemgem at 10:59 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Lol, I know many women that used pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever they wanted and gain tons and tons of weight. Then they carry it around for years and tell people it's the "baby weight" when they are walking around with a ten year old :) I gained 30 pounds with my son last year, and lost almost 20 pounds in the delivery room. Unfortunately for me, breastfeeding caused me to hang on to all the extra weight and PPD helped me gain some more after he was born, so I ended up being as heavy as I was 9 mos pregnant. Then, I got pregnant again ( I'm 7 mos. now) before I could lose any of it after dealing with the PPD. I've been careful about what I've eaten and I haven't actually gained any weight with the pregnancy yet. I'm hoping after the new one is born I can get moving on losing the weight, but I don't think I'll lose 18 pounds in the delivery room again. And I don't blame pregnancy for my weight, its totally my fault.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 11:02 AM on May. 18, 2011

• 12 pounds and 10 of that was the kid.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:15 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I gained 15 pounds. My son was 7lbs 1oz. I lost 11 pounds when he was born and another pound before leaving the hospital. I left the hospital at 118 and lost the other 3 within a week.

I have a very hard time gaining weight. It was all I could do to gain 15 pounds. I have to work very hard to stay 115. Dr. monitored me closely and I had to be induced because my stomach stopped growing and my son keep growing.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 11:18 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I gave birth around 230lbs (ya WOW!)....
    And I dont know when I actually weighed cuz i know i wasnt weighed before leaving hospital, but I was about 215lbs. And then soon after dropped to 210..

BUT... sadly after taking the depo & trying to get my weight down Ive actually GAINED and now (dd is 4yo) im 220lbs! :(..
    Before I got pregnant I was about 160lbs.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:04 AM on May. 18, 2011

• So, as with most questions regarding our bodies, I suppose the correct answer would be that every one is different. I think that I posted this more because I was kinda done with my know it all friend, and also a little shocked that she would sit there and pretty much tell me that it was okay to ignore what my midwife told me. She always has this I'm right, never wrong, so you should listen to me attitude that gets a little old sometimes....
    Eviesmommy

Comment by Eviesmommy (original poster) at 12:01 PM on May. 18, 2011