Trying to transition a 16 month old to table food & more age appropriate eating habits...help!

My 16 month old was born prematurely (29 weeks; 2.3 Lbs). She has grown satisfactorily & exceeded our expectations in most areas of development, but she has always been a bit underweight. Because we were concerned about that (though pediatrician says she is fine), we had been feeding her a smoothie-like concoction of whole milk, cereal & stage 2 baby food in her bottle. Now I am playing catch up & trying to get her to eat table food in a high chair at the table. It's not going well. Though she is curious about what we eat & likes certain foods (cereal, scrambled eggs, bread, pasta, chicken...), she refuses to eat things that are presented to her in her plate, gets exceedingly fussy at the table & prefers her bottle & snacking on cereal. Meal times are a huge struggle & I am unsure of what to do. What are age appropriate eating habits for a 16 month old? How can I successfully wean her off the bottle & into "normal" food?

gems74

Asked by gems74 at 11:08 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh momma, she will get the hang of it, she is really only about a year old due to the fact she was preemie, just don't fuss, and she will come along!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:12 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I think you just need to relax a little, and then she will do the same. Don't let meal times become a batlte because then she will just dread being put in the high chair. I say keep offering her the food, if she prefers it on the tray instead of a plate or whatever that's no big deal to go along with for now. When she's older you can her a special plate with a character or whatever on it and she may be more into it. Then just offer her the food and if she plays with it for now that's ok too, In time she will get the hang of it. Also, it helped for me to eat with my dd and to try to eat the same things or things similar, maybe she just had noodles and I had spaghetti. Then she would see me eating and want to be like me. You want meal time to be fun so that she looks forward to it, and there's no reason for you to dread it either. Just give it a little time. She won't go to preschool with a smoothie in a bottle, I promise.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:29 AM on May. 18, 2011