How often do you clean your toys? How do you clean it?

Just wondering, how do you clean your baby's toys? Do you boil everyone of them before use? What about stuff animals do you cleam them before use? My son puts everyone in his mouth and who knows how many ppl touch those stuff animals in the store.

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 11:08 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried not to be too anal about the whole germ thing. Of course you have to be cautious but if your too careful & whip out all germs around your small child they will never get sick & build up an immune system.

I didnt let her chew on the shopping cart in the store by any means that would be either covered or cleaned. Stuffed animals though I never really thought of, maybe simply wipe down the outside of the animal? Toys if they were in the package I never thought twice about either but if they were hand me downs or something I would usually clean them with a bit of soap & water using a washcloth.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:12 AM on May. 18, 2011

• We only clean them if need be, since my kids are older now. With baby toys, I just threw them in a tub of water and a little bleach, or vinegar + baking soda and just let them soak, or use wipes to clean them quickly.
    Stuffed animals - if you can, wash them in the washer.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:14 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I put the animals in the dryer. the heat kills germs. The plastic toys can be wiped with sanitizer wipes.Vinegar and water is a natural cleaner if you want to try that instead. Once every month my mom would fill the bathtub with water and a cup of bleach and throw all the toys in there; and then placed them on a towel in the sun to dry.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 11:16 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Peroxide is a better antibacterial than bleach for cleaning. Vinegar is also a great cleaner. Both are cheap in the larger sizes. Mix half water and half peroxide or vinegar in a spray bottle. If you wash stuffed animals, hang outside or air dry in dryer. Make sure there are no button eyes. If you have to, take off the buttons and sew eyes with regular thread.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:18 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Never. I occasionally wash stuffed animals that get grungy from being gummed/chewed on and spot clean hard toys with baby wipes if they are visibly dirty but other than that... I don't make a big deal of it and don't worry about germs at all. My kids rarely get sick (maybe 2 or 3 colds all year).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You can be TOO clean & then their immune system doesn't build up.
    Personally, I think less cleaning is better. You should avoid using most cleaning supplies you find in the store, they can contain lots of nasty chemicals.
    BLEACH is toxic; it was developed as a chemical weapon! It is a strong corrosive & burns the skin, eyes & resp system, & causes vomiting or coma if swallowed!
    AMMONIA damages the eyes, skin & resp system!
    AIR FRESHENERS interfere w/ smell; they also coat nasal passages w/ an oily film & release a nerve deadening agent! They can contain FORMALDEHYDE (a known carcinogen) & PHENOL which burns the skin which can lead to peeling & it can cause convulsions, coma & circulatory collapse!
    DISHWASHING DETERGENT contains highly concentrated dry chlorine, the #1 cause of child poisonings! A child putting a small amt in their mouth can require multiple surgeries to repair the damage!
    **cont in next box**
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 7:07 PM on May. 18, 2011

• FURNITURE POLISH contains petroleum distillate, which is highly flammable & causes lung & skin cancer!
    DRAIN CLEANERS (most) contain lye, hydrochloric acid or tri-chloroethane which are caustic--burning the skin & eyes, & may cause liver & kidney damage!
    SINCE 1980, asthma has increased by 600%! Common household chemicals are known triggers for asthma.
    A 15 YEAR study by the Nat'l Cancer Assoc. found that women who SAH have a 54% higher risk of cancer than women who work outside the home!
    The Nat'l Inst. of Occupa. Safety & Health analyzed 2,983 chemicals used in PERSONAL CARE products & found:
    883 were toxic, & 778 caused acute toxicity; 314 caused biological mutation; & 218 caused reproductive complications!
    **cont in next box**
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 7:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• IS IT ANY WONDER that I switched to a store that uses other things to make their products?

I HAVE ASTHMA, & I now can clean my bath/shower w/o feeling like I need a gas mask! (Just one example.)

I like using things that are AS NATURAL AS POSSIBLE, especially when they are SAFER for me & the environment!

****
    If you are interested in switching to a safer store, too, send me a msg!

owner of mysilverliningonline
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 7:31 PM on May. 18, 2011