Going to switch from regular (cow) milk to powered milk! Good idea or bad?

My df gets paid every other week and my grocery budget is kind of tight, $200/w about. I dont have a vehicle and with 3 kids under 3, taking a cab to the store every other day to get milk can be hard. If I walked them to the nearest gas station milk is over $5 a gallon!!! I usually keep powdered milk on hand just in case and when I did my grocery shopping last week I got the walmart brand, great value. I made some today and it tastes great! The first ever powdered milk that didnt have a gross after taste! I'm thinking of just getting a bunch of boxes to last the two weeks, that way I wont run out! would it matter if I just gave my kids powdered milk, rather than fresh milk?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 11:09 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• 3 kids under 3, I would have to ask the Pediatrician or a nutritionalist. Some milks are not safe for babies and toddlers.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:13 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I can't believe you found one that tastes good, lol! I probably wouldn't I would just buy 2 gallons of milk at the store, but I am odd about food taste, if DH has a car, why can't he take you to the store after work?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:14 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My df works over the road, in a different state. He's home for 3 days every 2 months:( and 2 gallons of milk last 2 days:( and the milk has the same nutrition in it as the powdered.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 11:16 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Good. I am lacotse intolerant and I have been doing that for years........
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 11:18 AM on May. 18, 2011

• The only concern would be that powdered milk is almost always skim milk and most pediatricians don't recommend having children under 2 drink skim milk because they need the fat content. Otherwise, it is nutritionally identical to the kind you get at the store. I like to keep a box on hand when I cook so that I don't use up my "fresh" milk. That might be one way to help stretch your milk supply & budget. Good luck with this!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My kids are almost 2 almost 3 and 8 months(he is breastfed)
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 3:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Past the age of two, children don't need milk. Water is the only beverage that they need

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on May. 19, 2011