Breastfeeding help

My daughter is 2 days old now, and I am exclusively breastfeeding. I'm just not really sure what is normal and what's not. She has been eating every 2-3 hours but no matter how long she sucks my boobs are still really hard, is that normal? Should I also be pumping? I don't want to pump then not have enough when she wants to eat. Also she will only eat using a nipple shield...how can I get her to do without it and there is always colostrum (sp?) in the shield when she is done so is it just collecting in there or is she getting enough? She is having poop diapers and I'm pretty sure some pee too its just hard to tell with the discharge. Any advice welcome! Thanks

luvmylilbean

Asked by luvmylilbean at 11:10 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2-3 hours is good, and your breast may be hard because your getting your milk supply. If she is getting enough poop/pee diapers I'd say continue with the shield but maybe try a different position, like lying down. A different angle may help he not need the shield.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:14 AM on May. 18, 2011

• You're breasts are always engorged? My son ate every 14-45mins the first couple weeks. Breastfed babies can eat whenever they want. As long as she's wetting diapers consistently and isn't losing significant weight then she's good. I was already producing milk by my second day. It's okay to pump if you're producing enough. Your body will supply to the babies demand. If you're concerned call a lactation consultant, your doc or check out the Le Leache League website. good luck!
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 11:17 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I had the same question when my was just got home. I just pump so I know exactly how much he's drinking, and he always falls asleep during bfing. Usually baby will stop when they are full. 2-3 hrs are normal and if he poos that's even better. My son poos every time he eats till he's 2 months old. As long she poos and pee that's fine.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:20 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I think it sounds like you are doing ok. Every two hours in those first weeks was how often I was nursing. My milk didn't come in until day 5 or so, don't fret if you only have colostrum for a few days more, that's normal, too. Just keep putting baby to the breast and the rest usually takes care of itself. Also, I would keep trying with and without the shield, and in different positions. Or if your breasts are hard maybe express a bit with your hands, just gently squeezing your breast from the outside in toward the nipples, it may help soften your breasts a little and maybe then your baby will have an easier time nursing without the shield. Worst case she keeps using the shield but at least she is nursing. Also, don't be afraid to take advantage of the resources available thru your La Leche League or the Lactation Consultant at the hospital. Good luck- it can take a little time to work out the kinks but it is well worth it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:24 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Spend as much time as you can skin to skin with your baby. Take off your shirt, strip baby down to a diaper, and get in bed with baby like that. Stay there that way for as much as you can for the next few days. This skin to skin will help to organize her sucking behaviors, encourage her to nurse more frequently, and help her conserve calories. The skin to skin will also make it more likely that she will take the breast w/o the shield. Just keep trying. You may be able to get her started on the shield and then take it off part way through the feeding. Try hand expressing a little before latching to help soften the breast and make it easier for her to latch on. It is normal for milk/colostrum to be in the tip of the shield when baby is finished.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:13 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You're doing GREAT! Everything here is normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Sounds great, except you'll want to see an IBCLC or LLL leader for help with weaning off the shield. At 2 days old, 2 diaper changes shows that she's getting enough. 3 diapers at 3 days, and so on, until about a week, where from that point on, you will be looking for 6-8 diaper changes in a 24 hr period to tell that she's getting enough. I would only pump at this point if you need to be away from baby. Let her nurse on demand, as she's doing. Your breasts are a bit hard now because you are producing MORE then enough milk, once your supply stabilizes, in a few days to a few weeks, you will likely not feel very full or hard, and this is a GOOD and DESIRED thing. It will mean that you are making the right amount for your baby. Sounds like things are going great so far, keep up the good work.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Amy, if you meant that you pumped to see how much baby got while nursing, know that pump output does NOT equal what baby gets at the breast. To know if baby is getting enough, you just count diapers, as what goes in must come out :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm a Neonatal (baby) ICU nurse (32 yrs) + mom of 2 (excl BF).
    1) At 2 days, this is NORMAL.
    2) If baby is contented & has even a small amt of urine + poopy diapers = good.
    2) Eating every 2-3 hrs = normal.
    3) Your breasts will be fairly firm/hard w/ "ENGORGEMENT" phase, this gradually goes away as your milk supply kicks in. Then it may be easier to get her to latch on w/o a shield, when you are soft. It can take up to 6 wks to get that worked out.
    4) Babies come w/ extra fluid & wt to help them thru the 1st few days. (Think of the days of no pumps--babies did fine on the tiny amt they got.)
    5) NO pumping now. If you need a supply for returning to work, wait a week or so & only pump right after feedings.
    6) If you need help, seek IBCLC certified. Ask hosp.
    7) Watch for baby getting yellow/jaundiced.
    8) Have something to drink when you start feeding to help w/ milk let-down.
    9) Relax!
    Msg me if want any more advise!
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 6:37 PM on May. 18, 2011