Stuck and pissed about it. Vent then a question.

I started my job right out of high school (16 years). I never had any desire to go to college, even now, I have no idea what I would go for if I went.
I am trying to move up in my company but 16 years of frickin experience is not as important as a piece of paper (degree) sticking out of your ass.

I applied for 2 jobs that are basically 1 step up from what I am doing. They hired a woman that got laid off 2 years ago, government paid for her college and she got rehired 6 months ago, now, she has applied for the job and got it because she has a degree. The job is so different than anything that she has ever done here and it pisses me off since I have been doing this crap everyday for YEARS!

My question...I do want to move up, I don't want to spend years going to college and have no idea what to even go for, I don't want to spend a ton of money, so, what is the easiest degree to get so I can walk around with a paper sticking out of my ass?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 11:22 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well, I think you need to take a good hard look at yourself, 16 years with the same company would usually negate a degree, if you do well at your job and have experience, perhaps you should apply for higher up postions at other companies that do what your company does. You could always go to school online.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:29 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I want to hear the answers to this one..................I have been in the same pickle!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:23 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Start sleeping with the boss lol!~
    Sorry, I am in the same boat 14 years later and no degree :(
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:24 AM on May. 18, 2011

• If you want easy, go to a small community college. Online schools are notorious for being more difficult and costing a lot more. If you don't care what your degree is in, I would get one related to the field you are working in now. Also, some employers will reimburse you for your college costs, see if yours will do that. Good luck (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:24 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I would say an associates in business, very blanket degree and it gives you the option of saying you have one.
    jenn_heidi

Answer by jenn_heidi at 11:26 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree with above poster. It.sucks that we need.a piece of paper to.tell us what to do. I know folks with degrees and still cant do their job but thats the world we live in
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 11:30 AM on May. 18, 2011

• What does the company do? What are the company's NEEDS? That's what you get the degree in. But lose the attitude about "piece of paper sticking out of my ass." View it as an opportunity that can take you farther. Otherwise you won't move up even WITH the paper.

Check out your local community college. There are many certificate programs out there.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:11 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You just have to hunker down and get a bachelors - it is the new H.S. diploma, to remain competitive.

Perhaps a liberal arts degree?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• gdiamante...I understand where you are coming from. I have taken on extra duties to assist the company but when it comes down to it, that piece of paper is what matters and for the most part, it could be a degree in cake decorating as long as it is a degree. They feel that an individuals ambition to go to college shows something where dedication to work (again 16 years in the same field) cannot make up for it.

I am looking into online courses now but again, I had no desire to go to college so I don't want to spend 2 years to get a degree that I think my experience already makes up for. so, I am trying to appease the powers that be while not killing my pocket book nor spending hours going over things that I already know just to get credit for it.
    Jademom07

Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Unfortunately Degrees are the way!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 18, 2011